Freezer issues, ideas/advice needed

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I agree that chest freezers are more efficient, but I prefer the uprights. Never have to worry about losing something in the bottom :D Our upright deep freeze only gets opened a few times a month so I don't worry about it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I vote for getting a new one too, and a chest freezer. for the energy savings alone, you'll make it up in no time.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Going to look at a craigslist one tonight! Hope it is a great as it sounds!!!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha! i was gonna say the same thing as everyone else
:-0

BUT

do you have a local costco? we are about to get a 7cb freezer for $187!!!! we dont have a membership and need to coordinate with some folks we know who do... might be worth it to check online to see if you can get a new one????

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Add to ofg's statement that you can likely scrap that old thing for around $40+ to put toward a new one and you already have the majority of the cost. Add to THAT that you will save the rest over about 6 months in energy consumption, and I'd be buying a new freezer.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The ones they show online are $649-749. It ain't happenin'! Home Cheapo's are around $500. Craigslist it is....but I got a call cancelling the look-see since the lady got stuck at work. Poop.

The picture of the Energy Star sticker says $81, so that indicates that it isn't as old as mine, which says (gotta go check) $34, I think.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Go to Home Cheapo, find one with a dent or scratch, point it out to the nearest sales person, and ask the "new" price to "remove that old eyesore" from amongst the flawless merchandise. :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
The ones they show online are $649-749.
are you kidding!?!?!?!? wow.... do you have an Appliance Warehouse kind of thing??? i wanna say even lowes has better pricing... golly. and yep check out CL for sure.

:)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Right now, I would think that the phone would be your best friend. Two years ago, I was scrambling for a new freezer for my meat birds. i called every furniture store, appliance store, second hand store, department store, big box store-- you get the picture.... within an hours drive from here. i asked if they had freezers, what size, any scratch and dent, what price etc. i got a 16( I think) cuft freezer (chest freezer) for $200 scratch and dent.

there are deals out there.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just picked up my second Home Depot freezer yesterday. I love'em :) Energy start rated and cheap too and I don't mean qaultiy either. I say go to Home Depot and kick the model you want and ask for a floor model discount with dings. :) Just Kidding but I have picked up 2 at 25% off due to dings on them. What a few dings before I put a few on the???.... O yeah 25% off.