Freezing onions

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I chop and freeze. Great for use in all kinds of meals and onions last a good 6-8 months frozen.
Texture does change a bit so not good used in something like a potatoe salad or if fresh chunks of onion are needed.

I am not a dehydrator person....so anyone else freeze like me?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I chop and freeze onions, peppers and celery. If you have a regular freezer that is not frost free they will last longer than 8 months. Or at least mine do.
I freeze mine after chopping by placing them spread out on a cookie sheet. After they freeze I vacuum seal most of them in small quantites and put them in the big freezer. I will keep a couple of handfuls in ziplock bags in my fridge freezer to have them handy. By freezeing them on the cookie sheet first they are not all stuck together so you can just reach in and grab as many as you need without having that big ball of stuck together stuff.
If you do vacuum seal them - this is the time to use all those little strips of vacuum bags you have been saving. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I freeze onions but not the cookie sheet method...I put them in ziplocs and flatten them out so I can break off a chunk. I also freeze chopped scallions in large quantities. Scallions are my favorite flavor to add to chicken broth along with garlic, of course, and rosemary. Scallions don't really stick together so you can pack 'em in.

I do double bag all onions so they don't flavor other things in the freezer.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes! I buy bags of onions because they're cheaper that way, but we'd never go through them all before they got sprouty or moldy, so I mince and freeze. Hubby likes the taste of onions, but not the crunchy texture. So, freezing them makes 'em a little more mushy and he doesn't notice as much when I put them in dinner. I also freeze bell peppers the same way if I have too many.

I tried dehydrating onions with the intention of making onion powder. I have no idea how to grind them though. I tried the blender and the food processor, but it's not working. :idunno

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never thought to freeze celery 2dream

save me some waste. Oh yea I will be freezing celery...lol

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I dry onions and pepper when we have a surplus. This is the first time I chopped and froze peppers. I had a gazillion this year. So I froze in 1 cup increments and put in snack size zipper bags. Works great for egg scrambles.

Mostly I keep my onions in their net bags and hang in my downstairs canning pantry.

G

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ya know I can't seem to keep anything long.

I put taters in a cool dry place. they mushed up on me fast...ugh

seems nothing keeps like they say it will keep for me.

I had some bananas turn fast on me so into the freezer they went. Seems I need to 'do' things wtih what I have usually fast cause to just 'store in a cool dry place' just doesn't work for me...must be NC weather or something HAHA

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Onioins generally keep well in the root cellar, too. Much cheaper in terms of energy. White onions don't store well, but yellow onions are generally fine. You have to get the outer layers to dry out a bit before storing them, though.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I mince & freeze mine. I don't have anywhere to store them where they don't end up molding.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FC - have you tried storing your taters in one of your fridge crisper drawers. If I don't use all of my taters in a timely manner and only have a few I will store them there in a flour cloth sack. If I have lots of taters that I know I won't be using quick enough I store them in wood shavings in a clothes hamper. I have had taters last me for 6 months or longer stored in the wood shavings. Just make sure when you pack them in the shavings that no potato is touching each other or the side of hamper. The dollar stores usually sell mesh pop up hampers that work great and when all your taters are gone you can just empty all those shavings into your chicken house, pop that hamper back down and store it easily. (I keep my potatos stored this way, under a sofa table with a long table cloth ove it. This way the taters are in the dark and not exposed to light, heat and air conditioning. They are also hidden from view.