Freezing onions

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I freeze small onions whole. They're easily cut up when they're frozen, just take a little care. Same with garlic, but the bell pepper, I chop up and freeze.

I can't keep spuds here either. So I partially cook them in various ways, freeze on a cookie sheet then bag and back into the freezer. Spraying them with a bit of cooking oil spray keeps them from sticking together, too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are tater illerates Marianne :lol:

2dream....great post and thanks for all the good info! :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I freeze celery, onions, and peppers when on sale or if I have a surplus from the garden. I sometimes do a celery/onion or pepper/onion combo pack.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Onioins generally keep well in the root cellar, too. Much cheaper in terms of energy. White onions don't store well, but yellow onions are generally fine. You have to get the outer layers to dry out a bit before storing them, though.
Most of the "sweet" onions do not store well, mainly due to their higher moisture content. If you are growing your own look for comments on keeping ability for the seeds or sets you buy. the commercial growers depend on keeping ability, one rule of thumb that I use is the bigger the bag the more likely it is that they are a good keeper. Those big fat onions you buy individually by the pound are usually very bad keepers and most will start to rot in a week if left in plastic bags. When I am shopping for onions I look for smaller (less than 2") yellow onions in 5# net bags. These small onions are considered to be less saleable than larger onions and are usually cheaper. I tend to hang these bags in a cooler dry place (my back mud room) where they tend to keep well. I like the small onions because I am the only real onion eater in my household so a small onion is enough, second the small onions tend to have less moisture to start with and they dry faster, less sprouts or rot. ~gd