freezing WITHOUT (new) plastics

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'd prefer not to use plastics of any sort to freeze my produce (due to environmental concerns) But then what does that leave me with, other than Mason freezing jars?

I guess I could use large yogurt containers that aren't recyclable here (we only take 1 and 2s). I do have a TON of those around the house.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The difficulty as I see it of not using plastic is that you will have a heck of a time minimizing airspace around the produce enough to prevent massive freezerburn. (You could TRY waxpaper or freezerpaper mashed real tightly around the produce but I would not be holdin' my breath) (and anyhow I'm not sure that freezer paper these days isn't made with plastic? I dunno).

I have never done it but I think the first thing to try would be freezing your veggies in water or other liquid, so you have a solid block of ice. Only the bits on the edges could possibly get freezerburn. You would not be able to store quite as much produce in the same am't of freezer space. OTOH you would have more mass in the freezer which would give you a *bit* more insurance against power outage losses.

I'd be interested in hearing how this works, or any other methods for the same goal.

Pat

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I vacuum pack in mason jars all the time -as vacuum packing doesn't preserve things, just keeps them fresher, I put these jars in the fridge a lot. For things like bulk cheese, etc.
I wonder if the vacuum would hold in the freezer??? I have never tries it- I wonder if the canning lid rubber seal would get too hard and allow air in.
Just a thought. BTW I have never used freezing jars- just regular canning jars.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Wouldn't a vacuum-packed jar in the freezer still get freezerburn? Maybe even worse than non vacuum packed? (It is different when things are vacuum-packed in plastic that molds itself to the shape of the food, thus no empty space)

I do not know, I am just guessing; by all means tell me if you've done this and I'm wrong :)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
would glass do well in a deep freezer?
fridge yea, but freeze glass? even with no expanding liquid, wouldn't it crack?
I don't know, never froze glass???

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glass does not freeze well at all. It will crack and even if it doesn't crack in the freezer when you take it out the temp. change cracks them sometimes. I never freeze glass.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks nccountrygirl
I know I never would put glass in the freezer.......DUH
not many options really when freezing is there? plastic still seems best for me

To save on throwaway bags and such, I freeze in alot of tupperware type things. At least reusable for long time!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Whoa- I have used glass in the freezer a lot- just not vacuum packed mason jars. I routinely use glass food containers (what was common before plastic) in the freezer, taking them out to thaw, then microwaving in the same container. Then into the dishwasher and reuse.
It's true that glass will break when really cold- I can't really be sure if it breaks more easily but all glass breaks as does plastic. Untempered glass will not go from the freezer directly to the oven without cracking but Pyrex does as do other kinds.
But if you don't reheat while cold, glass works just fine in the freezer.

PS Of course dropping glass will cause it to break but I have never had one break in the freezer- not even the few mason jars I've used. I have had recylced jars from store products break when I simply poured something hot into them but not in the freezer.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wouldn't it depend on what you are freezing? I use Mason jars in my freezer all the time--I just use them for things that have lots of juice to pack around the product. I use them for tomtaoes, soup, all kinds of jam and fruit sauce. You just have to be sure to leave enough headspace or you'll lose as many jars as I have in the learning process :|

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have seen glass containers at my supermarket that are specifically made for freezer,oven,microwave to table.
I have frozen corn chowder in mine and then microwaved it. Its been fine. If they are making glass containers for the freezer then I don't see what the problem is.