from goats milk....

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have milking goats. Currently we only drink the milk. I think it makes just the best hot coco. I was wondering what every one makes from your goat milk? I would love to make butter and ice cream. But I have no idea how to seperate the cream even. So any tips or recipes would be great. :D

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have any recipes to share as I our first doe just had her kids on Monday, but I am REALLY looking forward to the fresh milk. I got all my milking supplies today in the mail... I felt just like a kid on Christmas!

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get so excited when we bring home a new goat. We just our Spanish buck about a month ago to breed our girls with. I also got a young Nubian billie the same weekend. But he is a little young for breeding this year. He does not seem to know what he is there for lol. So he is just a pet and pal to my girls for now.

I can not wait until we are getting enough milk that I can make ice cream and freeze it for later. I think I will be just wonderful.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

Some of the local 4-Hers had goats milk icecream at the county fair and it was delicious!

Unfortunately, I don't have any goats. :(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, I am anxiously watching my rescued goat's udder and belly, having no idea when she is due or if she is even preggers. But I am already looking for recipes!!!

My mother was so delighted when I got this goat, it surprised me, as she tends to say things like, "You already are so busy, why do you want more work?" But she just talked about the does we had when I was a kid and all the things she made from the milk! So next trip there, I will have to see if I can find some recipes.

Yogurt, ice cream, and cheese are in my plans!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
One of the librarian's at our local library makes this cheese, which I love. In Ohio you cannot sell goat milk off your property, so I can only get her cheeses. She was kind enough to share this recipe.

Making Soft Cheese from Goat's Milk

Easiest to make and ideal for beginners

Heat 1 gallon of clean milk to a temp of 80F and let stand for 36 - 48 hours at a temp of 75 - 85F. This sours the milk and aids the formation of a firm curd.

Put the curd into a piece of muslin or cheesecloth and leave to drain. You can hang the bag of curd above a bowl or place it in a metal strainer. Open the cloth occasionally and scrape the sides down with a clean spoon to speed up the drainage.

Place the bag of curd on a metal grid and weight it down with a 1 lb weight. Leave to stand for several hours in a cool place.

Remove the cheese from the bag and season to taste with salt. If you wish, mix in some chopped herbs of your choice, or even ground spices, depending on the flavor you want.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, thanks....that sounds like the yogurt cheese I make, I have a batch in the fridge right now. I use commercial yogurt now. I don't use a press, though, just drain it wrapped in a piece of old t-shirt tied up on a spoon handle and dripping in a pitcher in the fridge. That is how I get my whey for soaking my grain products so I can digest them w/o getting sick.

I parfait this in half-pint jars with raspberries sweetened with stevia. A quart makes 5. It is one of my one-the-run snacks. I hate yogurt, but LOVE it this way.

Vanilla extract and stevia is good, too. Also will parfait it with canned peaches or cherries if there is nothing fresh that is affordable. Oh, and strawberries and blueberries, of course.

DH likes yogurt, so I will make up some jars for him with the yogurt. Can't wait to have it with goat yogurt.

There is now only one brand, Dannon Natural, that I can find that works. All the other brands in my local stores add pectin so the whey does not separate. Yet another reason to keep a dairy goat!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Of course! One of my fall plans, I can't wait to get back into soapmaking. It is so easy. Measure, stir, pour. Only this time, instead of buying my fats, I've located a free source. Can't wait to experiment!