From NYC Single truck driver...to farmer "dad" with 5 kids.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
Isn't it amazing we survived our childhoods!:lol:
That's for sure. I was worse in my adolescence :rolleyes:
My brother and I regaled our parents with the wild things we did as kids on one of our visits. They were stunned. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It's a good thing I don't have kids. They'd never leave my sight, especially once they hit their teens. Based on my own behavior and that of my siblings!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It's a good thing I don't have kids. They'd never leave my sight, especially once they hit their teens. Based on my own behavior and that of my siblings!
LOL free...times are different now that when we were growing up. We was able to romp the woods for hours, and had little to no fear!! Now days, you cant let the kids leave the confines of thier own yard...and even then...you have to keep a close eye on them! Sad.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
So maybe I won't stay with you.. :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, its been a few days since I posted...benn canning everything under the sun! :D OK....so..

One summer day, mom decided we would go to the "Old Indian Mill" somewhere in Ohio....to have a picnic and a day out. Lots of people visited there, the old mill was always open for tourists. There was a small water fall, and us kids would swim on the river there. It was always refreshing on a hot summer day. Mom would always pack fried chicken, potato salad, radishes, green onions, biscuits, and soda. These were the very rare times we actually got soda. :p
So, we are all swimming at the river, when Jeff decides he is going to dive off the waterfall... :/ It was a perfect dive...out, and straight down. I remember thinking how gracefull he looked. It all seemed to go in slow motion...untill he hit the water...and ROCKS!
He came up, bleeding like a stuck pig! He hit a large rock, head first. Blood was everywhere!!! We started screaming for mom, as we pulled him from the river...and layed him in the grass. Mom and dad came running up...dad took his shirt off and wrapped Jeffs head. We all ran back to the picnic site, and threw everything in the car, while Dad carried Jeff to the car...and off to the ER. He had a slight concusion...and 30+ stitches. Good old Jeff....always made a regular day, into something to remember.
Another trip to the Mill....dad decided he would bring his new metal detector. He was bound and determined to find a "treasure" Us kids ran off to swim, while dad started treasure hunting. It wasn't long untill we hear the familiar sound of that metal detector beeping away...he had found "something" We mostly ignored it, thinking he had found another bottle cap or something. Dad started digging in an old dried up creek bed. He would dig..then scan...beep beep! still there, whatever it was. Before we knew it, Dad was about 2 feet down in a hole, still digging. By now we all ran to see what the treasure was. Excitement filled the air..we were all talking about how it might be a treasure chest, filled with gold and silver coins. Dad was getting really excited as well. Mom would scan the hole, dad would dig more. It wasn't long before there was a crowd. People started wondering up, asking what was going on. When Mom explained that he had found something...and was still digging, the excitement grew. Several men would take turns helping to dig this hole. By now it was about 5 ft across, and close to 5 ft deep. The deeper they went, the more they all just knew it HAD to be a treasure chest. A few hours had past...when finally the shovel hit something. Everyone stopped chatting..and froze. THIS WAS IT!! They had found the treasure. Dad was digging, and 2 more men jumped in the hole to help dig by hand...finally...they got it..yup, quite the treasure...they had dug up an old BBQ grill!! :lol: Everyone laughed...and started kidding who was going to take the "treasure" home. Dad was a little upset...I think more dissapointed than anything. He had spent a few hours, digging, and for that! We all went back to the picnic table...several people brought thier lunches over, and we all had a great laugh, and a good mix of food. We met several new friends that day..and made great memories. :)
Another place we liked to picnic was by an old covered bridge. There was a nice grassy place by the river we would set up our blankets and unpack the food. Us kids would swim, or hike the woods, mom and dad would walk the bridge, discovering every inch. One day in particular, we were hikeing the woods. Jeff had gotten pretty far ahead of us...when we heard him scream!! It seems like Mom had just appeared from no where...with dad on her heals. Jeff was running towards us....covered in bees! He of course ran towards dad, to save him. Dad was allergic to bees, and he took off in a shot, threatening Jeff to stop chaseing him...Mom was screaming to both of them to get in the river. They finally made it to the river...and was able to shake the bees. Jeff had over 50 stings. Another picnic...ended with Jeff in a tradgedy. :/
Another time we went there.....it had just rained a few days before...so the river was a little swift. As mom cautioned us to be carefull while swimming, she was setting up the blankets and food. Of course us kids were only half listening to her words of caution...and in the river we went. Mom was takeing pictures of us playing in the river...but soon we had been caught in the current. All 5 of us kids were clinging to each other...screaming for Mom. She couldn't make out what we were saying....she thought we were all just waveing and haveing a good time. Down the river we went....about a mile before we were able to make it to shore. When we all climbed to the shore, scared, and crying...we started walking back. Of course mumbling how..." Mom didnt care if we died" and how she was " waveing goodbye to us, and taking the last pictures of us before we died" ( kids and thier grand ideas):rolleyes: By the time we made it back, mom was upset that we had been gone so long, and wanted to know WHY we were all crying!!!?? Steven was able to choke out the words that we were drowning, and was carried away, and that she didnt care if we died or not! I winced when he said that...thinking mom was going to backhand him for smart mouthing her. Instead, she just stared for a minute, then started crying..and holding us, saying she was so sorry, that she didn't realise we were in trouble. I think that was the last time we went to the old covered bridge. :(

bgelber

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Okay I want to know how Jeff made it to adulthood???

Great stories though keep them coming. :pop :caf

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yikes! The worst thing I remember doing was taking my horse to the lake and making her swim.... I would strip off her saddle and hide it in some bushes, then urge her into deeper and deeper water until she started leaping....then swimming. I would hold on tight to her mane and basically float above her, trying to stay over her so when she touched bottom again and started leaping, I would end up on her back and not under her legs.

I did not know how to swim. :ep

The other thing my parents didn't know was that I would ride alone miles into the woods and fields, where humans rarely went, and if I saw an apple tree, I would park that pony under the tree and stand on her back to pick the best apples.

Another :ep
You should have just climbed the tree. They are very nice places for kids to be.
I was able to get into my Grandmas attic from the outside before I was school age. She had an antenna mast that was three metal poles like a triangle and it was close to the house. I'd climb it to the widow's walk (balcony) which they didn't think to lock then up into the attic. Just did it because it was there. Never got caught.