Frugal kitchen tips and hints. Share!!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
farm_mom said:
All leftover veggies are put into baggies and froze for my pot luck beef stew or soups.
I did that all my life, and then I got chickens. Now, we hardly ever have soup (b/c next to no leftovers). I miss soup :(

:p

Pat

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:lol: Yes, I admit, the chickens/ducks/turkeys/rabbits around here get far more garden scraps than we do!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I use an empty box from my trash bags to dispense plastic grocery bags. It fits in neatly beside the rest of my "bags" boxes and is pretty sturdy.

You could also use an empty tissue box.
Now that is a good idea. At present all of our plastic bags are just floating around under the kitchen sink. I'm going to implement that tomorrow.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
farm mom, that is one be-e-a-utiful rooster in your avatar! What kind is he? :D
He's our Silver Grey Dorking Roo. He's a handsome fellow alright! :)

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
farm mom, that is one be-e-a-utiful rooster in your avatar! What kind is he? :D
It's interesting that you should comment on my avatar. My children can watch yours for hours!!:lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feed nothing to my livestock but feed.
Everyone around here raves of my great pork and great eggs.

I do not ever give "produce scraps" or anything to my animals.

Good feed is it.

Sometimes, very rare, some scraps to the chickens, but never the hogs. Good meat is good grain.

No controversary but being in business to the consumer means best quality I feel I can give.

Goats get most and they don't eat most of the produce, they won't eat it.....lol...they want feed, pasture, and hay. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I freeze all produce pieces that would normally be tossed out, and once there is alot, I boil it to make vegetable stock. Breen bean trimmings, brocoli stems, celery leaves, onion ends etc. Add salt and some bay leaves, and yo have a usalbe stock.

Another frugal kitchen tip--(grocery shopping) I'm sure you all do this, but thought I would throw it out there.

I make my grocery list based on what is on sale at the grocery stores. If something is on sale, and it is somthing I use alot, I buy LOTS of it and store it in my pantry or freezer (no--not frozen pizza ;). Only go to the grocery store with the list, and only buy what's on the list. If by some reason a spontaneous trip to to the grocery store is warranted ( for one or two things)--don't get a cart--too easy to be tempted. I only go groc. shopping once every two weeks, unless there are really good sales, then a weekly trip is called for.

I also combine all errands so less trips into town are needed.

share.home

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I would never have thought to save the veggies in the freezer for stock. It a great idea I have a two year old and a four year old who pick through their veggies a lot and throwing out food makes me crazy, even if it is onto the compost.

And saving the older fruit for smoothies is another great idea. I think I going to have to get a bigger freezer:D