tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Check for winter squash sold as decoration in mid-October. They cost much less than squash at the grocery store.

I got a red kuri, several acorn squash, and 2 spaghetti squash for $1.49 each. Spaghetti squash were $0.98/# at the grocery store and weigh 3 to 4 pounds each!

They keep for months in a cool dry place. You can toast the seeds for a human snack, or feed the seeds and guts to livestock as a treat and DIY dewormer.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Help out the newbies with your frugal seasonal tips for fall.

do not, under any circumstances, start any projects. that works for me... saves a lot of $ and time and best of all you can be happy with a job that is perfectly not done at all. :)

ok, i'm kidding, but the credit card and me are both getting a workout this fall with the house staining (which has become more than that project because of repairs and caulking that needs to be done too) and ...

Reneefolsom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In my area the county is trimming trees and branches that are died or in the way of power lines.. I talk to them and they are more then happy to let me take what I want.. I get free mulch to add to my garden and compost also free beanches and sometimes already cut trees for you y wood stove. Might be little work but it is free..this year I got lucky they did alot of work half mile from my home.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In my area the county is trimming trees and branches that are died or in the way of power lines.. I talk to them and they are more then happy to let me take what I want.. I get free mulch to add to my garden and compost also free beanches and sometimes already cut trees for you y wood stove. Might be little work but it is free..this year I got lucky they did alot of work half mile from my home.

yes! also you can sometimes get wood chips with more green stuff in them that makes for even better composting and more nutrients than just the solid core wood chips where the bark is mostly gone. it depends upon if you want them for composting or for longer lasting pathway or top mulching type applications.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Check for winter squash sold as decoration in mid-October. They cost much less than squash at the grocery store.

I got a red kuri, several acorn squash, and 2 spaghetti squash for $1.49 each. Spaghetti squash were $0.98/# at the grocery store and weigh 3 to 4 pounds each!

They keep for months in a cool dry place. You can toast the seeds for a human snack, or feed the seeds and guts to livestock as a treat and DIY dewormer.

if you save the seeds to replant along with sell the seeds you can probably recoup the cost many times over.

Latest posts