Frugal Tips for our Livestock

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
What I am saying is: Is if you collect egg shells, and they set in a ziplock for few a weeks and you crumble them up and add to your feed mix. You could have a bacteria or mold problem. Contaminate the feed, get a bird sick, etc. Whereas if you bake them and collect them and grind them up it would be safer. Im just saying if you keep them longer than a few days you shpuld prbably do that to keep everyone safe.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Ah....I see. :)
Also if you do some research I think you will find that there is a protien in raw eggs that tends to tie up nutrients. You will often read of cooked eggs suggested as a tonic for chickens and chicks but it always specifies that they should be cooked to denature protein X

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Er....this is my polite way of saying, I see now where you are coming from, but I really don't agree with the information. I really don't see enough protein being left behind in an egg shell to tie up anything in my chickens long enough for it to matter one bit. I feed their raw eggs back to them if one is too poopy or damaged...if I were concerned, I probably wouldn't do that.

I've found that the way I do things, which is the way that my mother, my grandma and her mother, so on and so forth, have done them is pretty much sound and good nutrition and health for my flocks. Of course, anyone else is free to also pursue a quest for knowledge to accomplish the same.....but this particular info doesn't have any practical applications for me and mine. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well Im done dwelling on egg shells.

Anybody have any good tips to post here? :pop

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
The only thing I have is egg shell related. :D And that is the microwave works well too. 1 minute in the microwave if you have a lot of eggshells. I use to do that when I had a parrot and I was feeding my chicken eggs to him. As for my chickens. I never bothered since I was giving them back their own egg shells within a day or two. And egg shells are also good for your roses.

Ummmm....I don't think I knew about the tomatos though. Thanks for that tidbit.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't feed back eggs or shells to hens.
it gives them the opportunity and taste to peck good eggs. Heck I hate the ones that do what to taste good eggs. I try to find those and put them in the pot :)

take what you have in the way of egg leftover or whatever and put in garden, feed to dogs and 'whatever' cause there is tons of ways to handle any and all egg products.

Olden days there were no microwaves. To me commen sense prevails on what steps you want to wander.

everyone will always approach this different and thru different circumstances.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Beekissed said:
Er....this is my polite way of saying, I see now where you are coming from, but I really don't agree with the information. I really don't see enough protein being left behind in an egg shell to tie up anything in my chickens long enough for it to matter one bit. I feed their raw eggs back to them if one is too poopy or damaged...if I were concerned, I probably wouldn't do that.

I've found that the way I do things, which is the way that my mother, my grandma and her mother, so on and so forth, have done them is pretty much sound and good nutrition and health for my flocks. Of course, anyone else is free to also pursue a quest for knowledge to accomplish the same.....but this particular info doesn't have any practical applications for me and mine. :)
So why do you post or read posts? If what you do always is best why bother to read and comment. your birds so why should I care/~gd

Latest posts