Frugal Tips for our Livestock

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So why do you post or read posts? If what you do always is best why bother to read and comment. your birds so why should I care/~gd
Because I am here to learn. Just because I won't use the information doesn't mean I don't like clarification. With clarification I can put that into my head and decide if it has merit, is rational, has any basis in fact, etc.

Also, I don't expound that what I do is always best....I put the info out there, tell what my experience has been with it, and let you decide if you want to incorporate that idea as well...it is called an exchange of information.

Just because I don't necessarily agree with a theory or method, doesn't mean that I am wrong, they are wrong, we are wrong...it merely means I don't agree or feel it doesn't work with my life.

I'm not here to give hugs, pats on the back or patronize anyone...if I feel the info is a little screwy, I'll ask questions to see if I understand it correctly as it has been communicated.

Been here since we opened the doors and I'll be here, unless banned, when most are long gone....because I enjoy learning. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would respond same as Bee yet I can see someone taking it that way gd with your response.

It was a bit of a misunderstanding from the get-go on use of shells. And then with the final response the poster still sees a different view.

all seems cool to me

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Anyone got any tips for a family milk cow? Thats our newest edition in the spring :D

1littlefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've found that going in with people to buy bulk feed from a local grain mill can save a LOT more than buying a few name brand bags a month from the local feed TSC. I've cut my chicken feed bill in half. :celebrate

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tips? Use your grass or pasture as your main source of nutrition for ruminants...buying and feeding more grains may increase milk yield, but just how many of us are running a dairy and need the profits of more milk production? Expensive and formulated feeds are just not necessary and a good grass/pasture diet is less fraught with perils.

Also gives poultry of all kinds a more varied and healthy diet as a supplement to their grain diets. All this can cut down on feeding and health care costs for all your livestock.

At least, in my experience.... ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yepp we plan to utilize the yard for the cow :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I do disagree on one part, I think grain would be a good thing to have for feeding time and help maintaining weight and production. I need her at max production for our needs, plus the other animals needs.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I do disagree on one part, I think grain would be a good thing to have for feeding time and help maintaining weight and production. I need her at max production for our needs, plus the other animals needs.
What I am not convinced of is that grain = max production. The more research I am doing, the more I am beginning to think that grains have no place for cows (and horses, my horse no longer gets grain), and that there are other ways to achieve complete nutrition, and maintain the animal's health and production.
I don't have any answers (especially not about cows! Don't have them yet!) but its my hunch.
And I've been doing a lot of learning about the positive side of hunches lately!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Max production may not be suitable but maybe a boosted production. But I feel grain maybe necessary because of hay quality, and pasture quality, etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Me either...but then, I plan for livestock and animals that thrive on MY husbandry techniques and not the other way around.

If I had a sheep or cow that just HAD to have daily grain rations to stay in condition, this is one that I would sell. I try to develop or obtain animals that stay in good condition no matter what stressors there are on their bodies, so that they will pass on those easy care genetics to their offspring and so on and so forth.

The trick to keeping livestock without bankrupting yourself or constantly operating in the red~IME~is to get the animal to suit the style/need and not change your style/needs to suit the animal.