Frugal to a Fault?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those rubber bowls are great. When the water expands while freezing the bowl just flexes.

Speaking of being VERY frugal - I have a hunting and fishing buddy who is frugal to the maxx. Last week I offered him some of my dill pickles to taste. I put two of them on a small paper plate. When he left he took the paper plate with him and explained that he uses a paper plate for a week before throwing it away. Now THAT'S frugal!

He also makes sure that he throws them into a container that is used for burning in his wood stove.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
journey11 said:
What things in the past have you attempted to make do or do without that you found out later it just wasn't worth the aggravation?
Making horse blankets or work jeans (storeboughten is always better no matter how hard I work on it, and often costs less).

Patching roof leaks rather than fixing them properly. (I knew it at the time too, but you know, you always hope this will be the exception :p)

And I've gone thru quite the succession of tall weed cutting tools, from a fifty-cents-at-garage-sale metal weed whip to a $350 Sears Craftsman 22" wheeled string-trimmer. None were satisfactory for my needs (periodially mowing some acres of pasture, and mowing paths in tall grass, and converting tall weeds into short-weeds-and-stubble, and clearing drainage ditches and fencelines). Last year I finally broke down and shelled out $600ish for a DR brand 22" wheeled string-trimmer. Sixty-two thumbs up. It is WONDERFUL, works just tremendously, solid piece of well designed machine, I even love the *manual* and the DR *customer service phone line* :p -- I am soooooo kicking myself for not getting it in the first place. (The price of the Sears one plus the money we've put into parts and repairs is greater than the cost of the DR in the first place, plus the huge enormous amounts of sweat, energy and vocabulary expended on the Sears thing and manual implements). Some things are just WORTH splurging on, for sure.

Pat