Frugality vs. Kids

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well thanks for all of your replies!

It's a nice reality check to see that my kids are not the only ones without TV's and laptops in their rooms lol.

I usually cover the clothes and that type of stuff. But my kids have to pay their own way on electronics and a few other things. I think they take care of things better when they have to earn all the money for it.

I also made my daughter pay half of the orchestra fee last year (it was about $250.) I just wasn't sure that she how interested she was. It turned out that she really enjoyed it, practiced a lot and did very well. Was that because she invested in it? I don't know. I'll probably cover the fee this fall though. I'm not sure she has the cash :)

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DD (age 12) is so not financially spoiled.

We just added her to our minimal cell phone plan but the deal is she pays the monthly fee (limited calls, no text, no sending pics). We thought if she's paying she must really want it and will be responsible for it. She has a mother's helper job to cover the cost.

We always had hand-me-downs and I am still glad to get them. I don't even like to shop at the GoodWill because I have to pay sales tax! :)

Homesteadmamma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My boys (8&4) know that money doesn't grow on trees. The oldest knows if he wants something expensive it is a Birthday/Christmas present. He also knows that clothes are just there to keep you warm, and they don't need to be expensive. He goes to a school that requires uniforms so my back to school clothing only ran $15 because he wears the same size as last year. I have taught the kids that if it doesn't come out of the garden then it probably isn't good for you. Except for chocolate and ice cream:D . and those are only treats if they had a good week.

Gravelcreekfarms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Our kids don't attend public school so they don't ask for a lot of "in" things. They have friends who have Game Boy's, computer games and designer clothes. We usually sit down and weigh the costs with them. I am happy to say most of the time they would rather get something else. (animals for 4-H top the list)
There is an annual Hospital Rummage sale that we go to. I have picked up designer clothes for a dollar. Funny thing is people think we are rich because of the clothes we wear. :lol:
Our kids have been taught that we are a family. That means there are important chores that have to be done. This contributes to the family income and makes it easier for us to go on some fantastic vacations.
They get to roam the hills in their free time. They are constantly coming to me to show me each new discovery. This year it was a Praying Mantis. On their own they looked up information on line. They even wrote stories about it. It makes my heart sing to see them just being kids. There is so much "stuff" out there that seems to keep kids from enjoying other things in life.
This is just my opinion and story. Everyone has their own life to live.

Latest posts