Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We went for feed this morning. I figured out how many more days till freezer camp for the CCX and # of feed bags. Got a couple bags for the pigs, still had plenty and got more sheep/horse feed. As if that isn't enough, we picked out a calf yesterday evening and will get it when the pigs go to slaughter. Everything EATS!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked up feed again this morning. They've not mentioned any disruption in the feed supply, but I'm trying not to take any chances. In a few more weeks I'll have to start making the decisions about who stays and who goes. I hate it!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everything EATS!

Only until ---- the ax falls.

Old roos make some killer broth! Canned the meat is tender.

Also -- I have this recipe and plan to give it a try ---

Fresh Chevre Cheesecake Recipe

7 oz graham crackers, preferably homemade
2 tbsp melted butter (plus extra butter for the pan)
2 tbsp brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
10.5 oz fresh goat cheese, room temperature (set on the counter for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours)
1 tsp orange freshly grated zest (be sure to avoid the white pith)
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
1/3 cup honey
2 large eggs, room temperature
Dark chocolate chips for serving, if desired

Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 6-inch spring-form pan. Wrap the pan tightly in a double-layer of aluminum foil, pressing the foil into place just underneath the lip of the pan so that the foil does not extend to the inside. Make sure your top oven rack is positioned in the center of your oven, and preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the graham crackers in a food processor and process or pulse into fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and brown sugar and process just to combine.
Press the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom and 2 to 3 inches up the sides of the prepared pan. Set aside.
Using an electric stand mixer for best results, beat the fresh goat cheese, along with the orange zest and vanilla-bean seeds, until smooth. Add the honey and beat until smooth.
Add one egg at a time, beating well to incorporate after each. Don’t worry if the mixture looks just a bit curdled—this is normal.
Pour the goat-cheese mixture into the prepared crust, and place the pan in the center of a tall-sided roasting pan large enough to accommodate it. Use a pitcher to carefully pour enough warm water in the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the foil-wrapped pan, making sure not to splash water into the cheesecake.
Carefully place the roasting pan in the oven and bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes. Turn off the oven, and allow the cheesecake to remain in the oven as it cools, about two hours.
Carefully remove the roasting pan from the oven, lift the spring-form pan out of its water bath, and place on a dry kitchen towel. Before transferring the cheesecake to the fridge to cool completely and store, place a dry paper towel over the top to absorb any excess steam that may be released and cover with plastic wrap or foil. Chill at least one hour or until ready to serve (up to 5 days).
A mound of dark chocolate chips on top makes an excellent and hassle-free complement to this sweet and tangy twist on cheesecake. OR crushed fresh fruits/berries.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I rarely have grahams but, will use ginger snaps. Most is in house here and I sure have enough cheese!! need a way to use more & this is it. Won't get to is for a month prob. Need to get garden working before I branch out to this more entertaining stuff. LOL Maybe I will work off enough calories to eat it then!

I'm thinking pecans & caramel on it. OK, now I'm hungry again.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH man....making me hungry! I'll try it someday. Probably wait for a family gathering....geese...someday. We will have family gatherings again!