Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I want carrot cake....might just make some this evening. I'll make them in mini loaf pans so I can toss most of 'em in the freezer. It's vegetables - gotta be healthy, right?!!

with cream cheese frosting it has even more food groups! :)

some people say the "Grease, salt and sugar food group." but to me that is at least three...

chocolate is also in its own food group. white chocolate can be colored all sorts of things so it can also fit in any other food group.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I like Big Daddy. LOL LOL What size do you butcher pigs and how long does it take to get them to slaughter size? I'll probably stick to feeder pigs, but I have waffled on maybe AGH or Kune Kune.
I DO NOT NEED TO RAISE PIGS

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do love me some Big Daddy! This guy could take me out with a swipe of his head, but has never been aggressive at all. He and Cowboy have a mutual hate/respect/hate relationship. When Cowboy was young - and BD was young (pre-tusks) I saw him flip Cowboy through the air like he was a frisbee. He really wasn't even being aggressive - Cowboy just happened to walk between BD and his food so BD moved him out of the way, lol.

Their rate of growth is definitely slower than a commercial/feeder breed. But, if they're growing on pasture I don't care. When I was feeding 20 of 'em - they got a 5 gallon bucket of pellets/corn in the evenings. That kept most of 'em in good condition. Heavy lactating moms need a bit more. Also, I've never seen a spot where they've rooted in the pasture. They will root if locked in a pen - but not in the pasture. I probably do it differently than most because I process myself and prefer to deal with a smaller pig. The last pig I processed was probably only about 80 lbs. With a pasture full of 'em I don't need to process a 200lb pig. Big Daddy is probably over 300lbs, and my biggest sows maybe 250-260. In November I had a hunter come out and butcher 3 of 'em in one day and we split the meat. Those pigs were probably around 180lbs at approximately a year. It's definitely more of a long term commitment than a feeder pig.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t have pasture for what I’ve got, although we’re working on it. I do have tons of acorns in the fall, but that’s only one season. There’s still the rest of the year. They are a perfect small homestead pig.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew - it's been a day! I see wood chips in my sleep. But, I've got to get this project finished this week because by next week I'll need to be picking and preserving. I've already picked 4 or 5 yellow squash and a couple of zucchini. Tons of little tiny green beans hanging on the vines that I'll be picking soon. I might have went overboard on the beans, lol. I have three kinds of bush beans. And, Rattlesnake pole beans. And a couple types of Asian long beans. And, Red Ripper peas. And, Fordhook lima beans (that I expect to fail miserably).

I hilled up the potatoes earlier this week with all the spare dirt I could pull up around 'em. Today I added about 8 inches of tightly packed hay. I'll need more soon - they're growing like crazy..

Shell peas and Sugar Snaps are all done as well as broccoli and lettuce. I need to clean out those beds and put something else in there. Haven't decided what yet. Maybe more Swiss Chard and Kale or/and more peppers and eggplant. I want more things that are 'main meal' instead of condiments. I can definitely make a meal of eggplant. I guess I need to start more. Thank goodness for our long growing season!

I also might have over-planted (no such thing) winter squash. I can't even remember all the types I planted. I swore I wouldn't do that this year. I fully intended to mark everything I planted but I failed. I guess I'll know what they are as they mature. :fl

Weather has been a bit windy, but awesome today. Supposed to be nice all week which will give me a chance to work outside for hours and hours a day. Sounds like fun!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when i hear about pigs i remember the story of my nephew's friend who got bit in the scrotum because he was feeding some large pig (1200+lbs) some bread and he had the other bread he was holding in his other hand and the pig pinned him against the fence and went for the bread and missed and got him in the nutsack.

oops.

i'd never get in any pen with a pig that big. just crazy IMO.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've seen a few 1000 #ers. Not for me. Like FEM, my AGH pigs were tame and I did enjoy them. But they did root! Meat was excellent. But, not a 6 month type.

Can't wait to hear "what" you planted, unmarked. LOL

Latest posts