Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, my doe was excited to see me this AM! Got a gal while she munched grain & hay. Poured 1/2 half out for cats & chickens. A Sat treat.
Hoping your chips know "stay"!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are much more likely to have drought than floods. In fact the Klamath Water Project announced earlier that because of smaller than anticipated rainfall and snow this winter, farmers will only get 55000 acre feet of water this year. For comparison, they usually get 340,000 acre feet. This announcement came AFTER they had been told they would be getting 140,000 this year, and everyone planted accordingly. Now they won't get enough water to finish the crops, after spending the money to get seed and get it into the ground. :he We'll be seeing a whole lotta hurt here this year.

Our little garden won't be affected by that, but I've been working on getting humus into the soil for years, to make it more drought resistant. We have wood-framed raised beds so that I am only watering where the crops are actually growing, and I'm going to be even more conscientious about mulching everything to keep the water in the ground.
We are getting some rain over the next 5 days, but it won't be a lot, just steady drizzle basically. At least that kind doesn't run off, it soaks in.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ow they won't get enough water to finish the crops, after spending the money to get seed and get it into the ground. :he We'll be seeing a whole lotta hurt here this year.
That is so sad....:(

We are getting some rain over the next 5 days, but it won't be a lot, just steady drizzle basically. At least that kind doesn't run off, it soaks in.
That is something that NEVER happens here, lol. Three times in the last 6 weeks or so they've predicted torrential rains and winds to hit here - but we didn't get a drop. Most of it went north and east of us and I'm quite ok with that, lol. But, it would be nice to get "just enough" for a change.

I took a little stroll through the garden while I was out. Except for a few corn stalk that decided to lay down and take a nap - doesn't look like there's any major issues. Picked a basket full of zucchini and yellow squash. Might be time to start thinking about getting some in the freezer.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had a tragedy on the farm yesterday. Found one of my Kiko/Kinder does had tried to jump a fence. She got herself hung by a back leg. She had obviously struggled because she had broken her leg so badly that she had done a 360 while trying to get loose. It was the most horriffic thing....absolutely turned my stomach to see her like that and I don't get queasy very easily. No saving her without an amputation and she was so shocky I don't think she would have survived a surgery. Now I have an orphan baby who thankfully is eating grain because she wants nothing to do with a bottle. :(

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of the doe. They can get themselves into such stupid situations sometimes.
Had a heifer get tangled up in some high tensile wire and basically choked herself to death several years ago. Have had a few calves over the years try to jump or go through high tensile and get hung by their back leg and die or have to be put down with a broken leg too. I hate high tensile fencing. If it isn't hot, it is useless to keep cattle in. And the deer have gotten hung in it more times than I can count of over the years trying to jump it and getting a leg caught. But they can get caught in any kind of fence on occasion.
Glad the baby is eating grain so that the transition won't be quite so "painful".

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry. No one wants to find one of their animals like that. I know you feel terrible for her suffering. Yes, we get "toughened up" to the ups and downs of life and death, but there are those that hit us where we live, and this is one of them. Really sorry, both for her and for you.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:hugs So sorry FEM, about the doe. If you remember, I had a jumper 2 yr ago, who thought she could fly. Broken ankle, I was able to get her butchered. No kids from her. It's so hard because we feel guilty and nothing we could have done.

The water rationing in OR just isn't anything you want to have happen. Feel badly for those farmers. Doing all you can Britesea, I know. Do you have a gutter system for catchments?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I appreciate the sentiments ya'll. Certainly was a shock and very sad. Her baby is coming around and kinda even tolerates me now.

The rain has wreaked havoc with my garden. Looks like I'm going to lose some of my Rattlesnake beans - too much water I guess. I've got lots of bush beans however, that are doing very well. So well in fact, that I canned 7 pints of beans today. Found a zucchini that I'd missed for a couple days and some cucumbers are coming on. I've picked 3 so far. I can't remember the variety, but they are the long burpless type - and soooo good!

@Mini Horses - I do remember when yours broke her leg. I just couldn't butcher this one. Probably should have, but she wasn't in good shape, had been hanging there stressed and shocky, and I just didn't think it was the best idea. Still kinda second guessing myself on that one.

Gotta go make food.

Last edited: