Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
when there is no power, there is no gas either. Duh.....
True that - but that's why I have a gazillion gas storage containers. I will fill all of them up before a storm gets near. I had plenty of gas for the last hurricane and plenty left over, but I'm kinda obsessive that way, lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- lotsa containers....put that gas into the truck if not used for storms. Yeah, mine has to have a little control -- like no clothes dry & hot water heater & AC at once. LOL. Just flip the breakers! You know how....I know. One day I may wish for more but this one is sooooo heavy. I move it with the tractor if more than a few feet on the concrete.

I'd like to say "enjoy it" but, then, that might mean no power......So enjoy IF YOU HAVE NO POWER.. LOL It's a comfort factor.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
True that - but that's why I have a gazillion gas storage containers. I will fill all of them up before a storm gets near. I had plenty of gas for the last hurricane and plenty left over, but I'm kinda obsessive that way, lol.

or hook it up to the propane tank. usually there is enough capacity in there for several weeks (at least on our tank).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No propane here...and tanks have been known to float away in floods, lol! We tossed around the pros/cons of each type and settled for the gasoline generator for various reasons.

Had two kiddings yesterday - both single doelings! YaY! But, it's so wet now....poor babies have to be kept up for awhile to stay outta the mud. We had such a dry spring that the rain gods are making up for it now. To make matters even better there is a little "something, something" that has made it's way into the Gulf. That's just what we need...sigh.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While you keep a wary eye on the storm in the Gulf of Mexico, I look forward to maybe it getting up this way and dumping your share of the rain on us! LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While you keep a wary eye on the storm in the Gulf of Mexico, I look forward to maybe it getting up this way and dumping your share of the rain on us! LOL
We could trade places for a week or so, lol! And, my new generator isn't coming until the 12th.... if this one gets us it'll probably be before then. Sigh...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We lucked out and got nary a drop of rain from the tropical system. It's been hot - but we've got a reprieve for the next few days. Hardly any humidity at all right now which absolutely drops the perceived temp by about 10 degrees! Whoop!

Garden is stalled right now. Green beans are about done and black-eyed peas, eggplant and okra are starting up. Corn is making too - not great - but it's trying.

I canned chicken yesterday and will get more done this afternoon.

Been weaning goats and sold a bunch of bucklings a while back. Now it's time to pick through the doelings and decide who stays and who goes. Also had three more births - two doelings and a buckling. One more doe to go. After all babies are weaned the Nubians will need to find new homes. I'm done with that experiment and am so much happier with my Kinder and Kikos.

Been fighting a digestive disturbance in several of my goats - mostly Nubians of course.. It's nothing life-threatening, but they are passing it around and back and forth and it's annoying as heck. It started when the rains started...hmmmm. My silly goats will drink ground water instead of taking 3 more steps to clean water in a trough. I'm thinking that liquified chicken/pig/goat poop didn't do much for their systems. They don't go off feed, they don't run temps, they just poop...and poop...and poop. Hopefully it's about done - no more runny poops this morning but I did see some puddin' poop and some dog logs. Gotta watch where ya step, lol. But most of the herd is back to cute lil' pellets.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We didn’t get nary a drop either. The only benefit we got was it cooled down. So we hit the U-pick blueberry patch this morning. We picked 2 gallons at $8 per gallon plus we bought some tomatoes and potatoes. We were home by 9:30.

So no more Nubians. Puddle drinkers. LOL LOL Are you only going to keep Kinders and Kikos?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm done with the Nubian prima donnas! I will keep one though because she's my favorite goat ever. I probably shouldn't say that - or she'll die. :(

@baymule - the pic you posted on BYH hit home for sure.

We had the most horriffic tragedy on the farm last week and I don't think my heart will ever heal. We lost Gracie. I've been crying for a week. We lost her because Maddie killed her. They had been living together in the back yard since late last summer without problems. Then about a month ago they had a disagreement. We separated them and there were no other problems. But, I guess Maddie held a grudge. A week ago today I found Gracie motionless in the yard - breathing - but that's about it. When I ran to her she lifted her head and wagged her tail and that was the last movement she was able to make. We rushed her to the vet and he started her on massive doses of steroids and antibiotics. She rallied for a bit, but then went downhill again so we had to make the hardest decision, but the right decision, to let her go. She had brain swelling from being shaken by Maddie. She never had a chance with a dog twice her size and weight who shook her like she was a rat. Brain swelling - or basically "shaken baby syndrome" killed her.

If we're lucky we have a few special dogs in our lives and Gracie was the best I've ever had. I know I can't replace her, but I love the breed so much that I'm on the hunt for another English Shepherd.

Maddie is almost eleven and I see changes in her behavior, her energy level and her patience. She's either going deaf or suffering from cognitive decline or likely - both. Vet says don't ever trust her around another dog. I startled her the other day and she jumped up and snarled at me. She stopped as soon as she knew it was me, but decisions will have to be made at some point. :(

Last edited: