Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks like we are going to get remnants of that storm...Beta???... on Friday. Maybe I will be able to get something done in the house....packing some stuff maybe? Sure would love a kitchen day, but no sense to make more mess and more work with the cleaning out so that I can start moving stuff to the new house as soon as they get the floors sanded and finish put on....Not moving stuff into all that dust and dirt.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hopefully Beta will rain itself out before it causes any more trouble anywhere else. We got off pretty light - except for the rain. We had been dry so some of the rain was welcome. Hope those that want some get some - and those that don't need it - may it not be terrible!

Worst part of Beta so far is the mosquitos! Sooo many mosquitos in the milk room this morning... the girls were not in a mood to stand still. And, they weren't too impressed with getting their legs sprayed with Deep Woods Off Guess the scent is not on the list of approved goat perfumes, lol.

Maybe Beta sucked the heat out of here because our highs are supposed to be in the mid 80's for the next week or so. I'm over the summer heat - hope it's gone for good this year.

I got the sausage made yesterday. I love the flavor but the pork I used was pretty lean. I guess I'll just cook it in lard...same theory I guess.

I need to figure out what's for dinner.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you willing to share your sausage seasoning recipes?
I am guessing that you make a pork breakfast sausage.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

please do! i'm still looking for a good recipe that tastes like the italian sausage commonly used on pizzas. so many just aren't very good and like what i'm after. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

It was loosely based on this:

As I mix it, I always fry up a tiny piece and then adjusts the flavorings according to what we like.

That link has three variations and I kind of combined them. I didn't have Accent or parsley, and I used more sage and black pepper. I didn't have coriander so I used cumin. (I think they're pretty much interchangeable.) I've never made the one with maple syrup - but this time I actually put a touch of McCormick's Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple seasoning in it. I tried that because I put a bit too much red pepper flakes in it (according to me - there's never enough according to DH) I liked the flavor!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug I buy Italian Sausage Seasoning from Penzies Spices and mix it with fresh ground pork. It makes a really good loose Italian sausage. Especially if you get the Pizza seasoning and mix that with tomato paste and a little water for the pizza sauce. I have had friends offer to pay me to make pizzas for them.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug I buy Italian Sausage Seasoning from Penzies Spices and mix it with fresh ground pork. It makes a really good loose Italian sausage. Especially if you get the Pizza seasoning and mix that with tomato paste and a little water for the pizza sauce. I have had friends offer to pay me to make pizzas for them.

i usually can't use any spice blends because either they have black pepper or other pepper in them or they put other spices in which Mom cannot tolerate at all or even worse they put something in that they then lump under "natural flavors" or "spices" or other additives which she can't have. it's just not worth the risk the trip to the ER/docs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, today I posted an ad on Craigslist to sell a couple of young bucklings. Here's the ad:

I honestly think I'm asking too much, but am prepared to go down...

About a half-hour later I had an email asking me to call. I called - got no answer - left a message. He texted me back.
62655CAE-66A7-4DAF-A937-86E4BF186970.png

Did he even read the ad???? The answer to Every Single Question he asked was already in the ad. This is why I hate selling animals!