Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nuttin' much going on around here lately. I've been spending some time working on the 4 raised beds and getting some plants in them. I'm actually a little late doing my fall planting, but it'll either work or it won't, lol. Have some cabbage, broccolini, collards, lettuce and some sugar snaps planted so far. I want to get some more salad stuff and some root crops in next.

Snapped a quick pic of Belle lovin’ on one of her gals the other day. She takes such good care of the little girls!

C00D3A05-43A8-449D-9EFF-196F986E8879.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goat kids must be easier for dogs to love on than lambs. My lambs never love on the dogs. Sheba wants to love them, but they won't have it.

Belle is beautiful, love the picture.

I was sitting on the milk crate in the sheep barn a few days ago. Sentry went around licking the ewes butts. Then he adoringly came up to me and licked my chin. I contemplated having sheep butt licked onto my chin for a moment, decided that it was no big deal and gave him hugs. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goat kids must be easier for dogs to love on than lambs.
They do truly bond with the goats and at least some goats bond with them. Cowboy has always been that way, but Missy not so much. She's getting there though. She's the one that usually addresses the threat and Cowboy watches the goats. If it's a big threat (like the recent wandering hog) Missy went at it first, Cowboy put the goats in the barn and then went to help Missy. Belle barked, lol. But in her defense, she's in a smaller pen with her babies and she hasn't learned to jump the interior fences yet.

YUM - sheep butt kisses! I've had worse... Dead rat kisses are really yuck! :sick

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My lambs would never sit still for dog kisses. Are meat goats as tame with the dogs or is it more the dairy goats?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule
My Kiko crosses are fine with the dogs. The little goat in the pic is part Kiko. Even Conan is ok with them even though most of the year he is not in direct contact with the dogs. Pretty much any goats that are around 'em long enough become accustomed and accepting of the dogs. Maybe because they were raised with the dogs around? I've heard that Boers are pretty laid back goats - but no actual experience with them. You need some goats!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My sheep are raised with the dogs. The ewes will butt the dogs if they get too close to their lambs. The lambs are not "easy" with the dogs. I dunno. Maybe it's just my sheep. maybe my old ewes remember the "training" of the dogs and their many mishaps and they pass that suspicion on to their lambs. :idunno

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My sheep are not dog tolerant. They have never had a bad experience with a dog. Ewes would butt, lambs run away. Interesting!