Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve only worked with a couple of rams, they have all been gentlemen as far as rams go, and they don’t love being led by their horns but they don’t fight… until after you let go sometimes 🤣

My attempts at leading sheep by collars have been… well I’m glad no one was videoing me😂

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it probably would not be very nice to do to an animal but if you wanted to keep them from rubbing their horns on something you could put a chain from the tip of the horn to a nose ring on each side. ugh, i'd hate to do that myself but i wonder if anyone else has over done it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
it probably would not be very nice to do to an animal but if you wanted to keep them from rubbing their horns on something you could put a chain from the tip of the horn to a nose ring on each side.
I'm having trouble visualizing it, lol. Easiest thing to do will be to move him out of that area. He only did it the once - and it was enough. And, to think he wondered why he was being bombarded with pine cones, lol. Good for him that I'm a lousy pitcher, lol.

My attempts at leading sheep by collars have been… well I’m glad no one was videoing me😂
I'd pay money to see it, lol!

I've gotta finish this cup of coffee and get outside. Critters are impatient!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got to be a farmer almost all day today - yay! Uh, on second thought I was mostly a dog owner with a little bit of farming thrown in. I checked the raised beds and was tickled to see that the carrots I planted are popping through. I haven't, unfortunately, been able to find any little onion seedlings. I planted some green onion seeds but nothing yet. The seed is a bit older so if nothing happens soon - I'll be replanting.

Who woulda thunk we'd have a flea explosion in December? Today all the dogs got a nice new Seresto collar. I've had really good luck with those collars before. They're not cheap but they are cheaper than prescription flea remedies. If they don't work I'll have to change the plan. We generally like to spray the yard also - but need some dryness to do that. I want to try sprinkling borax and DE, but again...need a lot less wet yard, lol.

Did a re-worm on the pigs too. One little gal was kinda thin. She's been picking up since selling the 4 big pigs or maybe it was because I wormed her after the big pigs left home. Whatever the reason she's definitely putting on weight. This second worming should give her another boost.

Need to get dinner going. Rib eye roast left from last night and I'll roast some brussels sprouts to go with. Yum!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm having trouble visualizing it, lol. Easiest thing to do will be to move him out of that area. He only did it the once - and it was enough. And, to think he wondered why he was being bombarded with pine cones, lol. Good for him that I'm a lousy pitcher, lol.

i was just recalling how people have used nose-rings on pigs to help prevent them from rooting and i just adjusted the concept to take the force application on the ring upwards via the chain to the horn so if they were an animal that was trying to use the horns for something they'd likely catch the chain and then get tweak in the nose. something, i for sure, would not want to experience either...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fleas here too. Those flea pills that last 3 months, Bravecto, have JUMPED up in price! Paid $60 each for Trip and Carson. Sentry's was less, don't remember. Sheba is still good from the last one she got. Horrible fleas! Horrible prices on Flea chews. Chews that incidentally, Trip and Sentry don't like. Sentry grins at me, curling up his lip and the smell and won't come to me. LOL LOL So I mince them up in little pieces and mix them with chicken. No curling lips then!