Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Twenty years! Hard to believe that DH and I made it that long, lol! But we did and went to Galveston for our anniversary meal on the water.
. D9088E96-5F89-4B8A-9703-32EAB24D8867.jpeg

It was such a nice afternoon. We sat outside and watched the sea gulls flying and the pelicans diving into the water. The meal was spectacular. I had an appetizer of 1/2 dozen oysters on the half shell. DH had seafood nachos for his appetizer, and we split an entree. His endocrinologist told him at his last appointment to occasionally splurge. He/we splurged today (!) and had fried food - a rarity for us and we loved it. We even brought home a piece of lovely, layered chocolate cake. With some Amaretto it was perfect.

We didn't do anything else productive all day long and I don't even care, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Twenty years! Hard to believe that DH and I made it that long, lol! But we did and went to Galveston for our anniversary meal on the water.
.View attachment 17481

It was such a nice afternoon. We sat outside and watched the sea gulls flying and the pelicans diving into the water. The meal was spectacular. I had an appetizer of 1/2 dozen oysters on the half shell. DH had seafood nachos for his appetizer, and we split an entree. His endocrinologist told him at his last appointment to occasionally splurge. He/we splurged today (!) and had fried food - a rarity for us and we loved it. We even brought home a piece of lovely, layered chocolate cake. With some Amaretto it was perfect.

Lovely! Congratulations! 😍🥰

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
.View attachment 17481

sweet! every once in while a meal from the grease and salt food group is ok. :) i'm glad you were both able to get away and enjoy a day out!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll! Back to reality today. Despite his endocrinologist telling him to splurge once in a while he fought his blood sugar high all night. Argh. Back to a more structured meal plan today and going forward.

We've both got errands today. Not sure if we'll head out separately or divide and conquer. I really need to put in some outside time today so I may run my errands and zip back home. I picked up a lot of feed a couple days ago, but didn't get everything I needed. I was feeling a little lazy and didn't want to unload 20 bags of feed at one time. Today I go back to get the things I didn't get. Specifically have to get quail food. That's the one feed I can't really find a substitute for. The little birds can't eat larger feed so unless I ground up lay pellets for them they would have nothing. (and I don't feel like grinding up pellets, lol)

I'm down to 4 round bales. I could probably stretch them out for roughly 3 more months but that's about it. I need to source at least 3 more.

I'm getting some nice action in the raised beds. I've got collards, swiss chard and lots of radishes doing pretty well - cabbages also. Broccoli seedlings and broccoli raab are still in the garage and need to be moved outside. Then it will be the task of continuing to cover the in-ground gardens with cardboard. I'd also like to get some barn dirt added before I cover them. That's a lot of steps, but will make spring gardening so much better/easier.

Time to do the repeat worming on the goats. That's always fun, but they're all gluttons and most will suck the wormer right out of the syringe if they see the others getting a "treat." Silly goats, lol. I'll repeat the pigs in a couple more days. They're even easier. Ivermectin paste squished inside a bread ball. The only issue is trying to make sure each pig gets their share. To try to ensure that I toss out about twice what might really be required for their weight. It won't hurt 'em and then I'm a little more convinced that they each get at least their minimum requirement.

Slept late this morning so I need to get busy!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll! Back to reality today. Despite his endocrinologist telling him to splurge once in a while he fought his blood sugar high all night. Argh. Back to a more structured meal plan today and going forward.

We've both got errands today. Not sure if we'll head out separately or divide and conquer. I really need to put in some outside time today so I may run my errands and zip back home. I picked up a lot of feed a couple days ago, but didn't get everything I needed. I was feeling a little lazy and didn't want to unload 20 bags of feed at one time. Today I go back to get the things I didn't get. Specifically have to get quail food. That's the one feed I can't really find a substitute for. The little birds can't eat larger feed so unless I ground up lay pellets for them they would have nothing. (and I don't feel like grinding up pellets, lol)

I'm down to 4 round bales. I could probably stretch them out for roughly 3 more months but that's about it. I need to source at least 3 more.

I'm getting some nice action in the raised beds. I've got collards, swiss chard and lots of radishes doing pretty well - cabbages also. Broccoli seedlings and broccoli raab are still in the garage and need to be moved outside. Then it will be the task of continuing to cover the in-ground gardens with cardboard. I'd also like to get some barn dirt added before I cover them. That's a lot of steps, but will make spring gardening so much better/easier.

Time to do the repeat worming on the goats. That's always fun, but they're all gluttons and most will suck the wormer right out of the syringe if they see the others getting a "treat." Silly goats, lol. I'll repeat the pigs in a couple more days. They're even easier. Ivermectin paste squished inside a bread ball. The only issue is trying to make sure each pig gets their share. To try to ensure that I toss out about twice what might really be required for their weight. It won't hurt 'em and then I'm a little more convinced that they each get at least their minimum requirement.

Slept late this morning so I need to get busy!
Can you get layer crumbles? Is that still too big for quail?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I could - but I prefer pellets for the chickens. Less waste that way. So, if I'm going to buy crumbles I'll stick with the game bird crumbles because of the higher protein which gives me more eggs from the quail. Just need to get my butt in gear and pick some up!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I guess I could - but I prefer pellets for the chickens. Less waste that way. So, if I'm going to buy crumbles I'll stick with the game bird crumbles because of the higher protein which gives me more eggs from the quail. Just need to get my butt in gear and pick some up!
Good to know! Thank you! I prefer pellets for chickens too. I'm still entertaining the idea of adding quail. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked up more feed yesterday and thankfully I shouldn't have to go back to the feed store until next year. I need another metal can to store extra feed in though. I have a spare one somewhere. Need to find it so I can unload the rest of the feed.

First thing on the list this morning, after feeding, is to move a round bale. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I've got to get it done today. That's always an adventure. At least I shouldn't sink axle deep with the tractor. It's time to do a re-worm on the goats to get the gals in shape for mommy-ing. They'll also get a dose on the day of delivery also.

Good and bad news on the e-bay eggs. Good news: I got a hatch of 4 chicks from the Chocolate Laced Orpingtons. However, only 3 of them look to actually be laced. I've got a "sport" that is solid white and according to the breeder will be a cockerel.

The bad news is that I don't think I'll get a single chick from the Deathlayer eggs. Every. Single. Egg. had a severaly messed-up air cell. Several started developing but were early quitters. I've got ONE egg that is still showing development but is certainly not guaranteed to hatch. Kinda bummed about that. Shipped eggs are always a gamble, but I generally have at least a decent hatch. Not this time.

DH has gone off to an appointment with his cardiologist this morning. This would be the cardiologist who prescribed the drug that nearly killed him. I decided I should just stay home from this appt lest my mouth get away from me. I know it's hard to believe - but my mouth sometimes has a mind of its own, lol.

Ok - sitting on my butt isn't getting anything done around here so I need to suck down this 2nd cuppa and get busy.