Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't yank them from garden yet....you may be surprised.

I've read where others used banding. Seems hit and miss. A tiny ridge filed at base to help hold band, tape over. Those flat ones appear to be an issue to make work :idunno where they kept bands on, appears it's a way that works. We know burning as babes is best. I hate the thought but, have a great dehorner to use. I do know it doesn't work unless I take it from it's box! :lol:

I keep saying "this year"! :hide

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not yanking anything out ... yet! LOL Took a pretty good look at things this morning and it looks like some radishes are going to survive along with a cabbage and/or broccoli plant. Kinda hit and miss. I have potatoes in tubs and shoved as much around the plants as possible. Jury is still out on those too. I haven't even uncovered the carrots yet so not sure how that went either. All in all I think it may not be as bad as I feared at first. But, there are definitely casualties.

Bands are still on Frankie, but he's moved them. Might need to do the file and tape trick or sell him, lol. Kind of frustrated about the whole mess.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I kept a winter garden in Livingston, even through the few times we got snow and ice. Here-nope. I can't have a fall/winter garden. In Livingston I planted English peas in January for a great harvest and potatoes in February. Here-nope. When I find my HOME, I'll figure out the planting schedule. Maybe I'll even set up the hoop greenhouse I got off Craigslist for a mere $50 or use the windows I have collected for a permanent greenhouse. It would be so cool to have a sunroom with a wood burning stove in the greenhouse, attached to the house.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's that time of year....waiting on babies. I've got a couple of does moved to the kidding side of the barn. Pens are ready. Does are not, lol. (yet) Lucy and Noir (Kinders) are both uddered up pretty well but ligaments are still palpable. I have a tentative due date of the 10th but we know that a date is merely a suggestion. And that date is based on me seeing "activity" in the barnyard - but never actually saw him "seal the deal." So the wait/watch is on. Anxious to see babies!

Frankie is a butt-head, literally. At this rate he may always be. He got one of the bands off of one horn and the other band was pushed up too far to do any good. The other horn looks basically the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all off this morning - ugh.

I was browsing Craigslist last night and saw two polled Myotonic bucklings! EEK! I've been considering introducing some Myotonic blood into the mix - but it won't even be an option at this point. I won't bring in another buck right now - I refuse to have 4 bucks on the place! Gonna send a text to Frankie's breeder this morning just to get an idea of how he may want to handle the promise to buy Frankie back. Unfortunately, he sold his entire herd and has no goats right now, so I won't press it if he simply can't. But, maybe he has an idea or two. I plan on using the Kinder buck on everybody next breeding season anyway so Frankie would have to sit in the wings and wait for a year or so to get the nod again. I don't need to feed him that long - so I may need to find another buyer if his breeder doesn't have a solution.

I need to get back on garden duty. Not quite as enthusiastic about it right now - but if nothing else - I need to get preps done for the spring garden.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a good day! I contacted Frankie's breeder earlier and he finally responded. After several back and forths on text he has decided that he'll take Frankie back. He's a nice enough guy and I didn't think he'd really try to screw me over. Goat people are pretty good folks, lol!

Oh - and I ran outside really quickly and cut the remaining bands off!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Latest posts