Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weather guys were right - it's horribly windy. Temp is in the mid 30's but the wind chill is in the mid 20's. How do folks do this for an entire winter? It really wouldn't be so bad if the wind wasn't so crazy. Sustained winds in the 20s and gusts 40 - 50mph. I feel guilty that I haven't been outside yet. I'm gonna have to get tough and get out there. I love my goats, I love my goats, I love my goats...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weather guys were right - it's horribly windy. Temp is in the mid 30's but the wind chill is in the mid 20's. How do folks do this for an entire winter? It really wouldn't be so bad if the wind wasn't so crazy. Sustained winds in the 20s and gusts 40 - 50mph. I feel guilty that I haven't been outside yet. I'm gonna have to get tough and get out there. I love my goats, I love my goats, I love my goats...
I KNOW!!!! 21 here and blowing a gale. I'm gonna layer up in ALL my warm clothes, thick wool socks and top it off with Carhart overalls and coat. Looks like we have a WEEK of this. :tongue:tongue Maybe longer, but that's the longest weather report I have ATM.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

the forecast for here today is a high of 23F, it's about 20F now. not much wind though. thank goodness. :) i have a bit of snow to shovel and sunshine will be out today too. tonight forecast is down to 10F. don't think it is supposed to be too windy. it's ok. we're back above freezing for the highs Tues and Wed.

of course it helps to wear the right stuff. i'm hardly ever cold cold when outside. i have nice warm felt lined boots, a hat, mittens and two thick rings as a scarf that pre-heat the air as i'm breathing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wind really does make it awful. Wear a mask, it helps a lot!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok - I've gotta admit that even with the wind - feeding chores weren't that bad. Some years back DH and I went to a dude ranch in Canada. I bought some really nice winter gear for that trip. I'm so glad I bought it even though it doesn't get used very often.

I had thermals on the bottom and top. Lined wind pants, a long sleeve t-shirt and a carhart jacket. Also, one of those head covers that covers your whole head/neck with a slit for your eyes that I can (thankfully) pull down under my nose so I can actually breathe occasionally, lol. Along with gloves and my Muck boots - I was pretty comfortable. My eyeballs were cold, lol. The only real problem was the trailer door to the feed trailer. It faces north and it's solid - 6 ft by 5 ft and it catches all the wind. I was inside and almost couldn't get out, lol. Every time I'd get the door pushed open a bit it would slam back against me. I could picture broken legs and arms. It wasn't a nice thought.

No goat day today though. All the animals are spooky and nervous with all the wind. Hay is blowing in faces and dust gets picked up off the ground. I closed the north window on the barn which immediately raised the temperature to bearable inside. The goats thanked me, lol.

Guess I'll tackle a few inside chores today. Ugh - but guess I gotta be a grown up and just do it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ok - I've gotta admit that even with the wind - feeding chores weren't that bad. Some years back DH and I went to a dude ranch in Canada. I bought some really nice winter gear for that trip. I'm so glad I bought it even though it doesn't get used very often.

I had thermals on the bottom and top. Lined wind pants, a long sleeve t-shirt and a carhart jacket. Also, one of those head covers that covers your whole head/neck with a slit for your eyes that I can (thankfully) pull down under my nose so I can actually breathe occasionally, lol. Along with gloves and my Muck boots - I was pretty comfortable. My eyeballs were cold, lol. The only real problem was the trailer door to the feed trailer. It faces north and it's solid - 6 ft by 5 ft and it catches all the wind. I was inside and almost couldn't get out, lol. Every time I'd get the door pushed open a bit it would slam back against me. I could picture broken legs and arms. It wasn't a nice thought.

No goat day today though. All the animals are spooky and nervous with all the wind. Hay is blowing in faces and dust gets picked up off the ground. I closed the north window on the barn which immediately raised the temperature to bearable inside. The goats thanked me, lol.

Guess I'll tackle a few inside chores today. Ugh - but guess I gotta be a grown up and just do it.
Yay! You survived! I'm glad you had winter gear so it wasn't too bad - and that you didn't break any bones.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a difference a day makes! I hibernated inside most of the day yesterday and logged only .9 of a mile. Geeze! I've been out once this morning and already have that many steps! It's gorgeous! Bright blue, full sunshine, no real wind but a very slight breeze and temps a balmy 45 degrees. I could do this all year, lol.

I'm hoping to make this a goat day. Not a lot to do but I'm going to try and tackle a couple of Frankie issues. I need to boost his CDT, trim his feet and decide what to do about the daggers he wears on top of his head. I can NOT have a horned buck. Especially not the kind of horns he has that are long, wide, and flare out. I can NOT like them at all.

Need to go uncover some of the plants that I covered the other day and see if they survived.

I'm not going to accomplish anything sitting on my behind - gotta get going.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crisp and cool this morning. Promising to get up to mid 60's today - yay! Looks like lows in the 20's were not kind to the garden. I had read that collards, chard, cabbages and such should be fine with seriously cold temps. Apparently, the exception to that is if they have been warm for a while and not acclimated to the cold. Well... my little garden was definitely not acclimated...::(

Got some goat-ing done yesterday. Frankie got his CDT, his front feet trimmed and bands put around his horns. Back feet will be left for another fight, lol. Not sure the horn bands are going to do the trick because I don't think I got them low enough. In the course of his normal horn rubbing/sharpening he may already have removed them. He was working on it last night and I haven't checked him yet this morning. Ugh! If this doesn't work...

Headed to town in a bit. Need to pick up some feed and a few grocery items.