Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year I had 3 boar hogs. I tossed them the Cornish Cross that died, I always lose some to heat and other stresses. Hogs loved them, fought over them and ripped them to pieces. Those hogs also caught a crow and ate it down to the last feather. And THAT is why I built the Pig Palace so that I could feed/water from the OUTSIDE. Now I'll have to build another one.....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I should probably get on the tractor and do a little pond work. My new little pond is cute (and dry) but I need to do some clean up before the rain hits it. Hope we get enough rain to put some water in it. I'd like the ducks to get to enjoy it - but the last time they did that one didn't come home. :( If I could convince them to go pond-ing during the day and come in for the night it would be good. I need a herding dog, lol. Gracie woulda done it - but these other gals - clueless doesn't even cover it, lol! Karma likes to follow the ducks around - she might have a little talent but I need to help her with it. Maybe in October, lol!

I'm not spending real long stretches of time outside in the middle of the day. I run out and do something and then run back in. Even if I don't get a whole lot done in my 45 minute forays - it really helps me get my steps in, lol.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL - I sometimes tell DH that we have enough to last forever - or the rest of our lives anyway. Not totally true, but storage - it can be a challenge and I REFUSE to expand upstairs to the totally empty garage apartment. Nope - not gonna do it. I'd have to pay to run air conditioning up there and I refuse. (even though I could put a helluvalot up there) More than I'd ever use for sure - plus who wants to trudge up and down very steep stairs carrying cases of canned goods? Not me, lol!

storage is an issue here too, the place just wasn't built as a full-time-year-round residence. i am glad however that it is mostly on one level with only a few stairs down into the garage (which i had to make more shallow so Mom could navigate them more easily). i could add more storage in this room by adding more shelves along the north wall but that would mean i'd have to get rid of the extra futon i have sitting in here and i don't want to do that at the moment. we'll get by. it's ok, it's just not optimal.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
picking up some rains there at last?
Hallelujah! Yes, woke up to soft gentle soaking rain. So far we're shy of an inch and it's tapering down. Slight chance this afternoon but more chances for the next few days with Tuesday being the biggest chance. Yay!

A bit windy out there now but I'm about to brave it. Slept in a bit because of the rain, but gotta get out there soon and milk and feed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had another quarter of an inch of rain today. Not a lot, but that puts of over an inch in three days time. Since we're supposed to have more coming tomorrow I'm glad we didn't have a gully washer today. Temps stayed down - but humidity was UP! I managed to get some things done anyway.

DH absolutely LOVES the zucchini relish. He's suggested that we need at least a jar a week! Guess I better plant some more zucchini, lol. I think I have enough to make another batch. I also put a bunch in my brand new Excalibur dehydrator! I lost a whole batch last week when my cheapy dehydrator died overnight. I fed that entire batch of zucchini slices to the chickens and pig.... argh!

Another shooting today in an elementary school in Texas. Absolutely devastatingly horrible.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Was on news tonight. ... There must be a way....
It's the media coverage. Like suicide, it's a "contagious" behavior.

"More than 50 studies on nonfictional stories reported in newspapers, on television, and more recently on the Internet, have yielded consistent findings. Suicide rates go up following an increase in the frequency of stories about suicide (e.g., Hagihara et al., 2007). Moreover, suicide rates go down following a decrease in the frequency of stories about suicide (e.g., Motto, 1970). A dose-response relationship between the quantity of reporting on completed suicide and subsequent suicide rates has consistently been demonstrated (e.g., Phillips, 1974; Phillips and Carstensen, 1986; Pirkis et al., 2006). ...

The way suicide is reported is a significant factor in media-related suicide contagion, with more dramatic headlines and more prominently placed (i.e., front page) stories associated with greater increases in subsequent suicide rates (Phillips, 1974, 1979; Kuess and Hatzinger, 1986; Michel et al., 1995). Repetitive reporting on the same suicide and definitive labeling of the death as a suicide have also been associated with greater increases in subsequent suicide rates (Niederkrotenthaler et al., 2009, 2010)."

I will not click on a news article about a shooting. It's the only thing within my control. "Don't feed the beast."

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
^^THIS absolutely!

I will not click on any of the articles as well. I did have a talk with my girls about it only because our Superintendent sent an email that they will be having more police presence at the schools for the last few days the kids are there.

Glad he liked the jalapeno relish-if you have a recipe to share I would take it (or just direct me to the book it was in if you used one)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Had another quarter of an inch of rain today. Not a lot, but that puts of over an inch in three days time. Since we're supposed to have more coming tomorrow I'm glad we didn't have a gully washer today. Temps stayed down - but humidity was UP! I managed to get some things done anyway.

DH absolutely LOVES the zucchini relish. He's suggested that we need at least a jar a week! Guess I better plant some more zucchini, lol. I think I have enough to make another batch. I also put a bunch in my brand new Excalibur dehydrator! I lost a whole batch last week when my cheapy dehydrator died overnight. I fed that entire batch of zucchini slices to the chickens and pig.... argh!

you could also make a sweet and sour and hot relish from cucumbers.