Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rained all day today. It was a nice slow, soaking rain. The best kind to get under our circumstances. We topped out at 1.25 inches. Walked past one of the raised beds and saw that some radishes have sprouted. I love radishes - almost instant gratification, lol.

yay! i like the sprouts as much or more than the radishes. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He is pretty, what a huge comb and wattles. I love his rusty red color
He's a really good guy. Not aggressive with people but watches his girls closely.

yay! i like the sprouts as much or more than the radishes.
Yes! We love the sprouts too! Sprinkled over a salad they are delish. Heck, just to munch on a couple is delish.

We've got more rain coming overnight Friday. Yesterday evening while it was still raining there was water standing everywhere. It's amazing how it soaks in overnight. More rain in the forecast for the weekend.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got some (store bought) cabbage and broccoli plants in the ground this morning. I've tried starting seeds twice and have finally decided it's the seed - not me, lol. New seeds should be here in a day or so. Trying to go big on the fall garden (or at least bigger than in the past). I'm anxious for my onions to get here so I can tuck them in. Mid November is projected delivery date.

I want to get more rye grass seeds out by Friday when we're due more rain. Originally, I started at the perimeter fence lines and made several passes around the pasture, but I need to get more towards the middle to even things out.

DH had an eye check up appt this morning. Doc says everything looks great - see ya in a year! Considering all the trouble he's had in the past this is wonderful news!

Astros lost last night... :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Astros WON again last night! One more win and the World Series is OURS!

Our sad Texans left the undefeated Eagles record intact. Sigh....

Been in the garden the last couple days. Cleaning up and tucking a few more seeds in the dirt. I've decided that I enjoy fall/winter gardening much more than spring/summer. Not nearly as hot and miserable, not the same intense bug issues, and the weeds aren't quite as pushy.

About to toss the rest of the rye seeds out. Supposed to have some rain again tonight. I only have a little more than a 5 gallon bucket of seeds left. I need to empty that trash can so I can use it for goat grain. This time of year when it's cooler I like to keep more grain on hand.

I need to get into the freezer and pull out a bunch of frozen veggies and get them in the dehydrator. Still working on making room for Ms. Piggy.

Better get busy...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hot here too...relatively speaking, lol. I think we hit about 85 yesterday which wasn't so fun after highs in the 60's and 70's for a few days. Already 82 today. Oh well - it's better than triple digits and also better than freezes.

I tossed out the last of the rye seeds. I walked the pasture instead of riding the tractor. Easier to do spot seeding in bare spaces that way....and I didn't want to run over the tender grass that is trying to get established. Got some serious steps in also. Twofer!!