Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yikes! I wouldn't be ready for that either!

it's supposed to be 65F Friday with rains so i'm not counting it really, but i should. :) it means that much less burned propane to me... i have to check the level of the tank today to see how we're doing as we're getting close to when we would call them for a refill (from the left-overs of last winter's last fill up as we don't use it all summer).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight is supposed to get down to 40 and then they are saying 20's at night over the weekend.... I AM NOT READY EITHER.....
Oh geeze - 20's? That's horrible! We are supposed to get cooler by the weekend, but not anything like that - thank goodness!

Oh - ummm - Sunday sounds like a good day for a drive. Might be headed to a place where it's rumored they have Myotonic goats for sale a couple hours away. :hide

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went and picked up 3 more round bales today! As of right now I've got 10 rounds. This is from my main hay guy and my goats love his hay. He has two field - one is bahia and the other is bahia/prairie grass mix. It's all awesome clean hay and my goats/horses love it. Best of all - no herbicides which means I can use it in the garden. Now that I've got those 3 "insurance" bales I don't mind allocating some of it to the garden as mulch.

The fun part is coming up next. I've gotta get it out of the trailer. OUT of the trailer - not OFF of the trailer. I haul it in my livestock trailer. It's easy for the guys to push it in with their tractor, but it's a lot harder to get it out...ugh. It'll happen though. I've been doing it for a while now and I've got it down to a routine now. Doesn't make it any easier, but at least it works.

Guess I need to get to it...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Went and picked up 3 more round bales today! As of right now I've got 10 rounds. This is from my main hay guy and my goats love his hay. He has two field - one is bahia and the other is bahia/prairie grass mix. It's all awesome clean hay and my goats/horses love it. Best of all - no herbicides which means I can use it in the garden. Now that I've got those 3 "insurance" bales I don't mind allocating some of it to the garden as mulch.

The fun part is coming up next. I've gotta get it out of the trailer. OUT of the trailer - not OFF of the trailer. I haul it in my livestock trailer. It's easy for the guys to push it in with their tractor, but it's a lot harder to get it out...ugh. It'll happen though. I've been doing it for a while now and I've got it down to a routine now. Doesn't make it any easier, but at least it works.

Guess I need to get to it...
woohoo! sounds like you can go goat shopping this weekend now! :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I’ll stick to the Bahia.
Me too!

we knew it was happening anyways
:hide

Geeze, yesterday I had to move horses, move goats, move horses back, open gates, close gates, open more gates. I must've gotten up and down off that tractor 50 times yesterday. And, that's a big step up! I got two of the bales unloaded and will finish the last one this morning. I sure get my exercise oving the bales.

These are nice big bales also. My trailer is 6 x 16 and when those bales are loaded there's only a couple inches clearance on the sides and about the same to shut the back door. But, I don't have to strap 'em down since they're inside the livestock trailer. I paid $70 apiece and am thrilled considering that other folks were charging $100 or more for smaller bales. I love my hay guy.

DH is off to a follow-up cardiologist appt. Made a med change a few weeks ago so we like to pay really close attention to those. Don't need a reaction like he had last year! He's still got major issues with his back, but very gradually he's able to do a little more. He ran the weed-whacker for about 5 minutes yesterday. It's a start!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was nice to get that last bale unloaded. I just backed it up into the spot that was reserved for it and left it on the tractor, lol. Hopefully I won't need the tractor for the next month or so and I can leave it that way. Then all I have to do to move it is to start the tractor and drive.

I opened up an extra pen for the piggy. There was a shelter in there that needed a little ammending against the weather so I ammended it. Hope she likes it and doesn't try to rearrange. She's a pretty laid back pig so I think it'll be fine. It would be a good week to harvest the pig but... A friend of my neighbor asked to be present for the butchering so she can learn. My neighbor offered to help because he's a lot more experienced than me. Great - I love help! Only problem is that now we have to coordinate 3 folks schedules. It's deer season too and neighbor guy is hunting just about every weekend. Argh - maybe I'll conveniently "forget" that I offered my pig for lessons and just go ahead and do it. Maybe...

My son has his antique car entered in a car show today. I guess we'll show up for moral support. However, it's 44 degrees this morning headed for a high only in the 50's. I know that doesn't sound that cold to a lot of you but to me - it's cold! Especially with the wind and it's pretty darn windy today. Ugh.

Latest posts