Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chee-jim-eh-sigh....at least that's how I heard some folks on youtube pronounce it.

I'lll probably cut some this week and give it a try. Supposed to be really healthy with lots of vitamins like K - C - and 4 times as much Vit A...than carrots. Hope it's tasty!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
try pea shoots and tendrils instead. :)
I planted peas and some stoopid furry something or another ate them off at ground level. ARGH! Weird thing was they only ate the peas in one garden - the ones in the other garden are actually starting to bloom.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chee-jim-eh-sigh....at least that's how I heard some folks on youtube pronounce it.

I'lll probably cut some this week and give it a try. Supposed to be really healthy with lots of vitamins like K - C - and 4 times as much Vit A...than carrots. Hope it's tasty!
Or toss it in a smoothie, stir fry or soup to hide the taste?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I stir fried some of the Chijimisai and garlic last night in some sesame oil. It will likely become a garden staple. I enjoyed it. It should be equally tasty as a soup ingredient.

Our weather forecast has decided to make life miserable. I don't know how those of you who deal with these temps every winter do it! We are forecast for a low in the teens Thursday night and low 20's the next. That just increased my work load immensely. We've got some heat tape on the well and tank. That's great if it's still good. We haven't needed it since 2/21. I'll plug it in and check it today. If not - will need to replace it. Water line to the pasture will be turned off and drained. Same line and valve I replaced several months back.
Very likely that we'll lose power, like we did in '21 so fuel for the generators will be checked and topped off. The big generator sucks gas like it's starving. All storage cans will be filled. We now have a smaller propane powered generator also. We'll use the big generator for things like the central heat and water well.

We've discussed leaving water running or shutting off water and draining pipes. My concern is that if we choose the latter we can't drain everything - so what's left in the lines might freeze anyway. I need to research that a bit better. I'm comfortable with leaving the water running. However, in the big freeze DH accidentally closed a water valve out of habit and that line froze and busted making life a mess! There were no plumbing parts available because EVERYONE had the same problem! We now have plenty of extra fittings - I hope they're all the right size, lol.

I've got dozens of empty gallon jugs that I'll fill up for flushing and dog/animal water - just in case. Poor critters! All the livestock have shelters, but geeze, they aren't accustomed to this kind of cold! Thankful that we don't have any babies yet. Also, thankful that this is supposed to be a dry front for us. There is a small chance of frozen precip, but only about 20%. As much as it might be cool to have a white Christmas - I'll be quite happy if we don't.

I'll make sure all laundry is done and pre-cook some easily heated dishes. Better dig out the french press also. Even with a couple generators I'd like to make the fuel last as long as possible.

Supposed to have Christmas dinner at son's house. Hope we can still manage that! We decided this year to have Mexican food. Hope that works out or we could end up with sammiches, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me too.

Thursday night. 18F
Friday night. 12F
Christmas Eve. 18F
Christmas night. 22F

I’m getting granddaughters today. I’ll leave Christmas Eve, spend night at sister’s house in Conroe and come home Christmas evening. 2 ewes are heavy bred, one is bagging up. She is 8 years old, experienced mom. I’ll turn off water, drain pipes, draw up water in house.

I’ll feed good before I leave. A neighbor has offered to feed, think I’ll take him up on that. I can leave out dog pans with kibble and canned dog food. And I can pre measure out horse and sheep feed. It would make me feel a whole lot better to have someone check on the animals mid day. I don’t want to be gone, but granddaughters, family stuff…… I’ll be worried about my animals until I get home.
No generator. Power goes out frequently. I plan on being miserable.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our weather forecast has decided to make life miserable. I don't know how those of you who deal with these temps every winter do it! We are forecast for a low in the teens Thursday night and low 20's the next. That just increased my work load immensely. We've got some heat tape on the well and tank. That's great if it's still good. We haven't needed it since 2/21. I'll plug it in and check it today. If not - will need to replace it. Water line to the pasture will be turned off and drained. Same line and valve I replaced several months back.
Our stuff is constructed so these aren't a problem. My well and the piping bringing water into my house are all under the frost line, as is the the water pipe to the barn. We have hose faucets designed so we can use them in winter without them freezing up.

However my parents' well is not up to standards here and has similar problem with freezing - I understand your situation! The hydrant in my barn sometimes freezes when the temp is below -10°F.

I wonder if you can bury your "stuff" deep enough to not have to worry about it again? Or build a little well house? IDK, heat tape works but a permanent solution would be nice!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I stir fried some of the Chijimisai and garlic last night in some sesame oil. It will likely become a garden staple. I enjoyed it. It should be equally tasty as a soup ingredient.

Very likely that we'll lose power, like we did in '21 so fuel for the generators will be checked and topped off. The big generator sucks gas like it's starving. All storage cans will be filled. We now have a smaller propane powered generator also. We'll use the big generator for things like the central heat and water well.

We've discussed leaving water running or shutting off water and draining pipes. My concern is that if we choose the latter we can't drain everything - so what's left in the lines might freeze anyway. I need to research that a bit better. I'm comfortable with leaving the water running. However, in the big freeze DH accidentally closed a water valve out of habit and that line froze and busted making life a mess! There were no plumbing parts available because EVERYONE had the same problem! We now have plenty of extra fittings - I hope they're all the right size, lol.

I've got dozens of empty gallon jugs that I'll fill up for flushing and dog/animal water - just in case. Poor critters! All the livestock have shelters, but geeze, they aren't accustomed to this kind of cold! Thankful that we don't have any babies yet. Also, thankful that this is supposed to be a dry front for us. There is a small chance of frozen precip, but only about 20%. As much as it might be cool to have a white Christmas - I'll be quite happy if we don't.

I'll make sure all laundry is done and pre-cook some easily heated dishes. Better dig out the french press also. Even with a couple generators I'd like to make the fuel last as long as possible.

Supposed to have Christmas dinner at son's house. Hope we can still manage that! We decided this year to have Mexican food. Hope that works out or we could end up with sammiches, lol.
You sound prepared! I hope you get to see your family!