Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It wil
Whooped again! My git up and go has got up and gone, lol. Don't have a lot left to do, thank goodness!

Pig has a pile of hay in her shelter, hay racks in the barn are stuffed for now. Goats are depleting them as I type. Forgot about a couple of barrels that I had filled with water back during the summer and had to siphon some of the water out so they didn't split with ice.

Need to re-do the two pepper plants DH "tried" to cover... :rolleyes: City boys, lol. Still need to get some feed out of the truck and do the afternoon feeding a couple hours early. That means I need to get started on that pretty quickly.

Guess my break is over - ugh. I'll be glad when this whole winter mess is over!
l be back in January and February.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy Moly! How do you cold weather people do this? This is absolutely ridiculous! Our temps dropped 50 degrees since yesterday afternoon. FIFTY DEGREES!!! We were 66 yesterday afternoon and we were 17 degrees when I got up this morning. Okay - new math I guess. That's only 49 degrees, lol. Wind is still whipping out there. Looked out the upstairs window this morning and it looks like a huge goat pile in the barn. Horses are wandering in and out of the barn. Don't even see the LGD's - probably on the bottom of the goat pile, lol. They're not dummies!

Guess I'll have to suit up and go outside eventually - don't really want to! There may not be enough coffee in the world to get me prepared for this. Gonna just have to bite the bullet and do it. In a minute. After more coffee. Need more layers. How long can animals live without food and water? We've only got about 4 days of this....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We get used to it slowly.
I hope I never have to get used to it, lol. But, on second thought....that would probably be the best way to deal with it. I have to say that if it weren't for the wind it wouldn't have been bad. Properly dressed of course. That's part of the problem for me - I hate feeling bound up - and with all those layers it's almost inevitable. And, if my cuddle duds weren't trying to slip down it would have been a lot easier, lol.

But - I made it - animals are fed. They were really glad to see me. I was able to bust ice out of most of the water containers - except the chickens. Their container is pretty shallow and it was just too thick. I'll make another run outside in a bit.

I found one positive thing about this freezing weather! MUD FREEZES!! No slipping around hoping I don't fall. However, I've gotta say that falling on frozen mud would be a lot more painful than falling in squishy mud. It would be like falling on unlevel, pokey concrete. :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found one positive thing about this freezing weather! MUD FREEZES!! No slipping around hoping I don't fall. However, I've gotta say that falling on frozen mud would be a lot more painful than falling in squishy mud. It would be like falling on unlevel, pokey concrete. :(

from personal experience i can say that falling on chunks of sharp broken up ice is pretty bad, i have a scar on my finger from that.

the mess when the mud starts thawing is not fun and it can also be very slippery underneath the top layer of mud.