Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Haven't seen any geese fights, but I have had one try to attack me. He learned real quick that that's not the smartest thing to do.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been there done that, Deb! These goose guys are gettin' real serious about this fightin' stuff. It is so funny to watch but I keep breakin' em up. I wonder if people would pay money to watch? LOL - ok - no - that would qualify as animal cruelty, huh?

Sold some hens today. Sweet little couple from the 'burbs. They wanna get out of the city and start living the sufficient self lifestyle. I think they'll do it too.

Nuttin' much else going on...gotta work tomorrow so I'll try and play 'catch-up' on Sunday.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I've broken up a few rooster fights. I don't need Ralph getting beat up. Since he lost an eye, he's definitely at a disadvantage.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a one-eyed hen too...she has one roo that she hangs out with and he's pretty protective of her...it's so sweet!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I don't know if some pecked him or what. But he used to have 2 good eyes. He still manages OK.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Owwwwie - my whole 'self' is sore! I'm not sure if it's from fence bulding all day yesterday or that stinkin' new bed. DH says that my 'self' is still adjusting to the new mattress but I dunno.... I've been sore for a week and fence building sure didn't help. Argh...

Looks like I mighta found a home for one of the extra ganders. I had listed him on CL a few weeks ago and had a bite last night.

I put in an order for some meaties. I wanted em delivered over spring break. But, the hatchery called me a couple days ago and wanted to know if they could deliver 'em early. Ok...why not...except now I've gotta scramble to get things ready. The chicken tractor needs a couple staples put in where the wire came loose on one corner. Not a great big deal, but still has to be done by wednesday. I don't know how long my chicken tractor is gonna hold 20 meaties - I might be building a moveable pen for em outta portable panels real quick. My back yard is full of grass and weeds that I shoulda already mowed down - but now I'm glad I didn't. I'm gonna try just moving 'em from spot to spot in the yard since the weather is so much nicer. I think they'll do better on grass than just locked in a stall.

It was nice to get all the bed dilemmas solved yesterday. They finally delivered the base for the new mattress - one that wasn't broke this time. And, the hardware for the truck bed cover came in and now it's installed too. DH did it allllllllll by himself, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He is! He says he's not very 'handy' but he isn't that bad, lol. What he's not is 'mechanical'! But, my DS is - so that works for me.

The extra gander will be leaving in the morning. And when I say in the morning, I mean IN THE MORNING! This silly man wanted to come at 5am, lol. So, I put him off until 5:30 - OMG!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Whoa! That's earlier than I function! Glad he's leaving!
I hope that getting the bed set up will solve your issues! It's no fun being sure for this long.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Feeling a little less sore, thank goodness. But I attribute that to my heating pad, not so much the bed, lol.

I had a brilliant idea (even if it's not an original one). I've got meaties coming soon and I have a broody hen - so guess who's going to take care of them babies for me???? Not so sure she can cover 20 of them, but I bet she'll try her best! I'll give them a heat lamp just in case.

My mama goat has a rip roaring case of diarrhea. I wormed her right after she kidded so I'm not sure whats going on. Started her on coccidia treatment yesterday and wormed her again today with a different class of wormer. Hope that does the trick because I do NOT want bottle babies....

Supposed to start raining tonight and get cold again- but spring is in the air...spring is in the air... Spring is...