Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Everytime I try to lighten up my load and put my foot down, I end up using a whole day on it. I'm always glad afterwards though.
I think about doing pigs sometimes, but I best pick a small breed, so I can tend the deed alone....maybe medium size and me and DS can do it....if I go too big, all the family will expect me to have a boucherie.
I like to barter with my eggs too. Thank God the molt is over and the eggs are starting.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And here I thought that stuff in the air was snow!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not today, Deb - it's crazy, crazy rain...probably had a couple inches over night...ugh. Clearing up a little, but sposed to start up again this afternoon. We're supposed to be taken out to lunch today by our boss's boss. It ought to be fun, but not looking forward to getting out at all.

Rhoda, our hens have decided to make up for all the slacking they did a few months back....geeze louise I had to get a bigger bucket to carry 'em all in. If I had any extra space I'd be thinking about getting a couple more pigs. I like the idea of a smaller hog...maybe Guinea Hogs or Kune Kune's.....'cept those Kune Kune's are pricey!

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The last two mornings there has been a fresh 1-3 inches, despite the single digit temps. There was enough warmth last weekend to open up the lake ice so the lake effect snow machine is turned back on. Vague threats about non-trivial snow over the weekend coming up..... lololololololol I LOVE IT!!!! MORE SNOW!!!!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Do you know what the winter total is Jamie? I tried to find ours and couldn't find any info online.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got my meaties this morning! They shipped last night and they were here this morning...helps that the hatchery is only about 3 hours away. I was thinking I might try to slip a few under my broody hen, but I know she can't cover 26 of 'em. Kinda leaning away from the idea right now cuz it's so cold and wet. I don't want to risk any of my future Sunday dinners to just one hen.

The goose is stuck to the nest! So, I locked the other pair out of the pen in hopes that they'll start another nest of their own. Who knows... not me for sure cuz I'm definitely not a goose expert. Don't know what I'd do with a bunch of gooses anyway if I couldn't sell 'em. I ate goose once - guess I could do it again.

I want an auto plucker. I found a fairly reasonably priced one...now I just gotta talk myself into it. It's less than $400 bucks and I think I'd be happy to harvest a lot more chickens if I had a plucker. But, I dunno. I don't think I'm there yet. It's like when I wanted an auto-milker. Haven't talked myself into that one either, lol.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Through Feb 5 it is 53 inches for the reporting station at Cleveland Hopkins airport. I know we have had more than that.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wow That's so much snow! It wouldn't surprise me if we are pushing somewhere around there too I guess. We had the big storm on Valentine's that was over 20 and we've had at least one over 12 and a few that made 6, it adds up quick.

Yay meaties!