Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's funny - I'm looking at a STX on Amazon - there's a bunch of model though. Does your have the foot pedal? Is it the air-cooled one?

There's not a whole lot of difference in price between them...they range from $149 to $229 - so that's not a huge difference.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Foot petal? That's awesome. I wish! I have no idea if it's air cooled. I'll have to ask DH. They all had decent reviews, if I remember correctly.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds good. I texted my neighbor last night to see what kind he has. He texted back the brand and size and said "you can use it anytime you want". Yea and Nay, lol! I wanted one of my own - but seems silly to spend a chunk of change on one if I have one at my disposal. Have I said lately that I love my neighbors. The ones on one side of me anyway...

So, I may still get one, or I may have modified the plan a bit. He and I have had a conversation before about building a butcher/meat hanging room. I may have that discussion with him in a more serious mode and see if my money can be better spent on that or something else. If not the room - then maybe a meat saw or something....?

And - his does have a foot pedal. Of course when the kids run buy and step on it and you're not expecting it....watchout!!! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ooh a hanging room would be AWESOME! I need one of those. Yay for good neighbors!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH decided we need a tractor. Our house is sitting on 3 acres which near half is made up of 3 ponds and the rest is yard. Really? We haven't got our riding mower fixed in months because he didn't want to turn loose a few bucks. By the way it's the deck that needs a new bolt that needs fixed.

Then out of the blue he tells me we need a meat grinder. We don't hunt and all we have is a half dozen chickens. I want to raise a couple of AGH pigs and we have the pen half finished. Again he didn't want to spend the money on the fencing.

I told him we are going to build some chicken hoop houses (from cattle panels, chicken wire and tarps and he thinks it will be beyond our carpentry skills.

:he We need a tractor and meat grinder! Oh yeah, I think the landlord is getting ready to sell this place. All the sudden he wants to fix the house up like the electric and plumbing.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got wound up when you were talking about your pigs and new butchering/hanging room ideas, lol. Y'all are living the life whereas we are posers.:oops:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are not a poser - you are in training! :)

The hanging room is a dream - but after doing some research it really doesn't seem impossible. There is this really cool product called a CoolBot. It somehow allows you to take a window air conditioner and use that for your cooling source. And - it doesn't alter the ac to where the warranty is void - it just by passes some kind of thingy and some other whatchamacallit so that it can get really cold and not have it 'freeze up'.

It bears more investigating!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I actually saw on YouTube where someone had built a hanging room with an air conditioner. Interesting how it would work and easy for the average person to do. As for dreaming that is where the magic starts with us all.