Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yay, FEM, I'm glad she recovered. And I can totally see where atrophy would be a big concern. Glad she's able to live a normal life again. Trying to fix something like that is such a gamble.

And look what I just found, maybe this can a solution for you!!

I hope the link works. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll figure out how to get it to you. It's worth watching!! LOL

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I saw a pic on a local CL ad for kids for sale. They were all nursing and the owner had used oven mittens for holders! Cute and useful....helps maintain temps. Looks like a small hole was cut in the hand part, for nipple to go thru. They were tied by the usual hang up loop at the wrist area. Different colors looked so neat.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a great idea too! I may have to give that a try. Especially since it looks like I've got another bottle baby...ugh! Noticed today that one little gal wasn't growing the same as her sister and when I picked her up she was pretty light. So, I offered her a bottle knowing full well that if she was getting enough to eat from mom that she would refuse it. She learned to drink that bottle in about 2.2 seconds flat and drained it. Yay! (not)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I dang near killed one of my goats today. One of the Nubs that's nursing twins just didn't look good. Checked her membranes and she was paler than she was a couple days ago....geeze. Crazy because I'd given the pregger does a course of IvoPlus in late Jan/early February. Did the initial dose and then 3 more every ten days. They looked great and a 'group' fecal looked good too. I wormed them again after kidding - because that's what I do.

So, like I said, she looked "off"and her membranes were pale. This is also the doe with one baby who's not getting her tummy full very regularly and has become the newest bottle baby.

I decided to give her a little boost with an iron injection. I do that occasionally and find that it gives them a jump start. Well, I'd never given this doe an iron injection and she protested greatly a couple minutes after her injection. She bawled, staggered and went down. Well, dang.... I thought I was standing there watching her die. Breathing was accelerated and her eyes were glassy and she was, for all intents and purposes, checked out. The only thing that was good is that she wasn't flat out on her side - she was up on her chest - but she did NOT look good. I left her alone for a few minutes and started feeding the rest of the herd. Five minutes later I looked around and she was up and out of the barn looking for feed. CRAZY!

Color me relieved!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze goat, way to cause a panic attack! Well you can't sell her now, just wouldn't be fair! Lol! But seriously, that's very strange, and I'm glad she's ok.

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of pictures of all of these babies. Sheesh! Hehe

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have hit a vein.....?? Glad she's ok!!

I understand the lack of pics. When you feed in dark AM and then feed & count noses PM....sometimes with a flashlight!...hard to get good pics. I've been there last couple weeks as this is our busy time for store resets.

Sooooooooooooo....we'll give you until Sunday. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never thought that an animal could be allergic to iron... I mean gee whiz...it's an essential element. She won't be getting any more injections!

I need to clear some photos from my phone and take a bunch of baby pics.... sorry I've been slacking!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have hit a vein.....?? Glad she's ok!!
I questioned myself - but I'm so very careful to pull back on the plunger that I don't think that was it. I even looked it up and you CAN inject iron into a vein - so I'm going with an allergic reaction. Her symptoms fit the criteria mentioned in the description of the allergic symptoms. :hu

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Strange thing to be allergic to. Glad she's o.k. now!