Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well that just sounds delicious! I have been interested in making cottage cheese but have no milk to do it with so haven't researched it yet. Please do share your experiment!

Silly babies is right! Giving mom a panic attack is just not polite!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I spent hours searching for those babies... GRRRR!! :somad:somad:somad Finally, when it was starting to get dark and that stoopid doe was just standing around and bawling I grabbed her and dragged her bawling a$$ all over the pasture. Finally.... I hear a teeny, tiny little maaaaa from the area that I had walked through about 15 bajillion times. We head that way and lo and behold - mama finally hears them and calls them out of their hiding place. Those little buggers were NOT gonna come out of hiding until mama told 'em it was ok. Geeze louise!

Safe and sound and there's a new chain on the gate so this will NOT happen again.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You're going to have to stop torturing us and make that thread ;) That stuff sounds delicious!

Glad you found the babies. I was watching a vet show onTV yesterday evening and they had some kids on there and I thought of your bottle babies…

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is working on becoming a milkmaid, lol. (don't tell him I said that!) The girls aren't real sure about him yet so they haven't been real generous with their offerings. And, he milked yesterday morning without giving them any feed because he "couldn't find it". Oh dear! First of all, I put feed in the milk room in a metal garbage can where it was kept previously for YEARS. Second - he knows where the feed trailer is and has been in and out of it a gazillion times. So walk over there and get some feed if you can't find the feed can which is barely 4 feet from the milk stand. That might be why he got a mere 1/2 gallon from TWO does yesterday morning - my two BEST does. We'll see if this morning goes any differently for them. It's gonna take time for all of them to get accustomed to the new routine. Even with my gripe session I do appreciate his help!

The milk is stacking up on us so I need to get even more creative with it. DH's mom loves it and she lives right across the street from campus so I need to bring some to her. I also have a neighbor who is happy to trade home made tortillas for home grown milk. I need to call her too. I'm thinking of a Craigslist post offering some for sale to soap makers. Dunno if it'll fly or not but I guess it's worth a try.

Need to go pick up feed today. I'm sure that expense will spur me on to try and sell more goats. I've got a gorgeous little buck that I really wanted to use on some gals this fall, but I might go ahead and try to sell him with a little doe as a goat herd "starter package." Or not, lol.

Thankfully, the garden is in semi-recovery stage! I'm still looking for areas that I can plant more 'stuff' in. Unfortunately, every time I come up with an idea to use a different pen for a garden I come up with just as many reasons why it won't work there.

I'll keep pondering I guess.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's hilarious! My husband is the same way. He doesn't know what to feed the goats, at all! Good for him for doing it though! Is being away from that awful work environment helping his health?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is being away from that awful work environment helping his health?
Funny that you ask, lol. For the first few days his blood sugar was still running very high. But, now that I've actually got him going outside several times a day and simply moving his body - his sugar is running closer to the normal range. I've been telling him for years that exercise will help him.... and he knows I'm right :barnie but just didn't want to put the work into it. Now he's proven it to himself.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wowie, lady! A lot has happened in a week!
I'm so glad that DH quit!! Toxic jobs are just not worth it. I can't wait to see what develops for him after his surgery. Bummer that the surgery has to be the tougher version, but glad that it has a good success rate. I'll keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers.

Yay for selling goats! Silly DH. My BF does stuff like that frequently with the horses, and the chickens, too. He once left the eggs in the coop with lows in the single digits while I wasn't home, because he didn't feel like collecting them. :he So they froze.

Glad to see you got your garden back in order. Guess I need to get on that, too...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Ya know, I said at the beginning of this that I wasn't going to fight or worry about how it turned out. What will be will be and so far so good!

I'm very pleased at the recovery the garden is showing. I guess it's true that "nature will find a way"!