Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That story about milking the goats made me laugh! Clever girls. No feed? No milk! Glad to hear your DH is doing better. Working with the animals and being active around the house will be good for his head too.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope that he will SOON be able to see how much better his levels will be with light exercise....well, let's just call it something else than "exercise", sounds like too much work. If he can learn to relax and appreciate the goats, those girls will respond and HE WILL feel a good amount of relaxation. How can you get him to feel it is a pleasant activity? (notice I did not say chore). I always loved being able to go out quietly and milk without rushing. (This year, not working...still haven't begun milking and I am disgusted with ME).

OK, I need to till a garden spot....and haven't!! I have worked EVERY day but 4 this past month...2 of those rain & 20-30mph winds...1 stayed home as I wrenched my back after a "goat stampede" toppled me & I twisted as I went down. All ok until I tried to get out of bed in AM....crane needed!?! I rolled out, then worked next 3 days with pain meds/muscle relaxers. Whew. Good now!!

I will be off Sun, Mon AND Tue.......haven't had 3 days off in a row for over 2 months. Crank up the tractor & get that fencing up!!!!!! Finish spreading the lime. Fix the hot wired area wire. Till garden. Till some fields & overseed.

Did get a bottle of wine working.......hmmmmm....hope it does OK. You inspired me to get it started. Have 4 hens setting, #5 is trying to brood......geesh, I need to sell eggs not hatch them all! Someone needs to chill for a couple months.

Maybe, I can find time to set the milking area to useable...

OH, YEAH - Need to sell those 10 buck kids!! M y list is getting long & not even 10% of what I need to do... :idunno :old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - you've been crazy busy and to be injured in the middle of it - that stinks! Sorry you had to deal with that :hugs

Hope you get agreeable weather for your three days off. We had such great weather earlier this week that I took Monday and Tuesday off to try to get to the bottom of my "to do" list. Didn't get there - prolly never will, lol.

I've got a bunch of wine working and bought some more juice today to start another batch. I bought some white grape/cherry juice that I'm excited about. Even broke down and ordered an airlock instead of using balloons and/or Ziploc bags and rubber bands on the next batch.

Still waiting for the last two does to kid and waiting... Don't know why I don't have a date for them. Ligs are just starting to soften, and udders are there - not tight or totally full - but definitely there. For some reason I think early May...which isn't that far away!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, busy. But you know how THAT goes....something generally jumps up & takes priority. So it goes. Will work off what I can, starting with most urgent. Weather, if those storms crossing you all proceed my way, then rain Mon night. Will try to get lime & seed out before that. May be able to garden till Sunday, spread other stuff Monday early day.......fence, in between o_O Work on balance Tues. (then 5 days of work....I may have a week off 14-21....:clap:celebrate.....sure hope so)

WINE -- we think alike. I found Juicy Juice @BOGO & picked up 2 white grape. Concord working. Then, a cranberry/wh grape, organic, etc. None had more than ascorbic acid added. Not a big red wine, or sweet wine person. Want to try white....but I guess if it isn't what I want there will be some drunk chickens out there, :lol: So, while I would like to make my own, with only 1 to drink it, may just buy a couple each month. ?? Plus, I often have "take home" from sampling demos. Just too much red!

GOTTA get milking or they will dry up on me! Thinking I may pull 2 does from rest of herd to milk & see how that goes. :) I mean, why have them if not using them as a resource? Is this reality setting in?? :caf Why do we feel determined?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the reminder of why I keep my goat herd small! Even though I always want more! Lol

FEM do you work less in the summer since schools are out?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM do you work less in the summer since schools are out?
Actually I do! Not so much because school is out - because we have our students for a six week intensive session every summer (complete with field trips every Thursday and an overnight trip in July), but because our college closes on Friday in the summer. So, we work harder, but for less days if that makes sense.

I NEEEED those Fridays off! In fact, after today I only work two more Fridays until sometime in August.

Just too much red!
Send it south, lol! I do prefer a red - but won't turn down a nice white either.

It's going to be another couple weeks before mine is ready...might have to break down and buy some to hold us over. We've been a week now with NO libation! That's absolutely uncivilized I tell you!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Three day weekends are great! (No matter when in the week they occur, LOL). Don't you all also have a couple weeks when there is no school?

My work does slow down all summer -- both companies. So, good for farm work, not good for wallet. :th Can't have it all. At least with pasture I need far, far less feed. Seems to work out in the end.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are the "in between semester" times for sure. But, the offices stay open.... Campus is like a ghost town...but the offices stay open....everybody that can get time off takes vacation...but a skeleton crew keeps the offices open. No shut down, just more of a slow down.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always taught summer school, but it was always 2-3 days/week for a half day. I always felt so bad for the school secretary who was there every day all summer watching the rest of us flit in and out with our tans hahaha.

Latest posts