Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Someone once gave me a couple of bare rooted fig saplings. I forgot and drove home with them on top my car (sigh). One day I would love to try again. Maybe make it home and plant them! My grandson loves Fig Newtons and I've heard fresh figs are unbelievably delicious. A neighbor gave Mama jars of fig preserves years ago.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't use the pink salt in my bacon. I didn't want the nitrates. I used regular table salt without iodine. Your recipe sounds good, let us know how it tastes!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't use it either. Researched and couldn't find a good enough reason to use it. However, if I was going to cure anything, I would. Ham, etc. If it's left at a sketchy temp for a long period of time, is the only time you need it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If Bay lives through her bacon - I won't use it next time! LOL! I still need to go give it a turn this evening - ya'll don't let me forget!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll might have me convinced, lol. I only used about half of what the recipe called for this time. I picked up a thimble full of pure maple syrup (it just about bankrupted me) and I'm gonna pour a little bit in each bag today. I'm getting excited and it's still gonna be awhile before we et to taste it....grrr!

@baymule - how long did you leave yours in the rub/brine before smoking it?

DH and I are on a quest to get more activity....let me rephrase that....I'm on a quest to get DH more active, lol. So, we are thinking about heading over to his mom's apartment for a swim later. She's not been feeling real well, so we're gonna use that as an opportunity to check-up on her too.

Hate to even go outside today. It's so nasty/sloppy/wet/disgusting out there. UGH.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use a gallon of maple syrup. How much does it cost there? I should get in the business of bringing it down south, I would make some serious money, lol

Hope you get to swim later! We'll be swimming this morning, storms coming in later.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How much does it cost there?
I paid $7.99 for 12 ounces. Eight bucks doesn't sound that bad until you do the math....that'd make a gallon worth $80ish dollars a gallon! (if I did the math right, lol)

And, that was on sale... I think regular price was 9.99...