Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay, I'm glad yesterday went well, and that it's over now!

How many goats are you trying to cut back? So hard getting rid of them, but when you have so many you're working that much harder to keep more than you need... Well that makes it harder to be self-sufficient. I constantly fight the urge to get more, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My problem, and the reason I have so many goats, is that I love to see the long term effects of certain pairings. I want to see how the genes of my buck are working on improving certain issue in my goats. For instance, my original Nubian does did not have a good udder between them, lol. But the buck I have is putting much improved udders on his daughters. But, I want to breed those Nubian does back to my Kinder buck whose mother did NOT have a great udder - but she had a good medial, great teat size and large orifices. I need to know what kind of udder he's going to put on HIS daughters. Will the good udders I have on my Nubians now - carry them through if bred to a Kinder without such a great udder? His daughters are what I need to hold onto out of this batch of kids...

Then, I have this high bred Nigeran buck that was supposed to be an 'udder' buck. I only have had one daughter of his to freshen, and she had tiny teats when her mother has beautiful teats. So, I should go ahead and move him along - but I like the size of his kids when bred to the Nubians. So, can I keep those does and breed them back to a (soon to be born?) Kinder buckling whose mother has a great udder.

See? It's just my curiosity and the personal challenge of creating "MY" perfect goat. Geeze, I have it bad, lol!

SO....I don't know how many goats I want to get down to, I just know I can't keep them all! I may need an intervention!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You know… I'm not a goat breeder, but all this sounds like a fine reason to keep a good number of goats ;) With what you got going on there, you can produce some damn fine goats over time… Just my 00,02c I know, I'm not helping here am I? lol :p

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sure can! I've got little fella out there that I need to get neutered this weekend, if DH can hold him for me. He's not feeling so great so I might have to figure out how to do this myself. Guess I could put him on the milk stand and see if he'll stand still long enough for me to give his goobers a big ol' squeeze!

Latest posts