Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's easy. She's Cowboy colored! :thumbsup Just look at the picture!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I love her! You should name her Cowgirl, and she and Cowboy can be your farm spokespeople... Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went out yesterday (or was it the day before - geeze)... anyway...I went out and pulled a bunch of eggs from under a couple of broody hens who kept swapping nests and fighting over nests and breaking eggs....so I brought them in and candled them. Noticed that several were really close to hatching...one already had an internal pip. Got up this morning to the prettiest little lavender chick! Also checked that the broodies were still brooding and there they were - both of 'em in an empty nest, lol.

Hoping to have another hatch and then I'll try to slip them back under at least one of the hens. I've lost a whole bunch of babies this year so I'm going to have to put these gals somewhere safer than they've been. I know that ants have been getting some as soon as they pip, so at least by bringing them in I've conquered that challenge. I've got two that I rescued a couple weeks ago living in a cage in my breezeway. Tried putting them out yesterday and they were not happy! They've been living in A/C and they did not like the 101 temps we had. Soooo, they're back in the house. They will have to get used to the heat eventually - cuz I refuse to have house chickens, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wait, ants get them? What the heck kind of ants are a threat to chicks? Texas is crazy!

I don't blame them for not liking that heat- yuck!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've had ants go after hatching eggs too. Awful little insects :mad: A chicken safe treatment around the nest boxes took care of them quick though.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fire ants! They get them when they're hatching. I need to find something that's safe...I don't like to put poison in my nest area.

You're right - Texas IS crazy, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Headed out for a field trip to Stephen F. Austin University...3+ hour drive... then walk around in hotter than hades heat...yay! At least I'll earn some comp time, lol!