Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep! Same here. I can't stand it! It's creepy, they're like tiny velociraptors chasing me all over the place. Free ranging chickens are NOT for me!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At least green beans can just die if I get too tired of them and I can sleep with that on my conscience :lol:

And no burial required!! :cool:

My chickens normally free range in the various pastures. But, some do run to me when I go out the back. Gotta re-coop those to be able to contain them in the pastures. Working on that for next month...some fence wire to change...some catch them & pen differently to re-train. Not urgent.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll make me laugh about chickens!

I didn't do much of anything today. Picked some figs and got them in the dehydrator...cut up stuff for a couple days worth of salad...fed, milked, fed my face... I am a slug - and I'm not gonna deny it, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm slugging it today. DH got up at 4 to go pour concrete and I went back to bed til 8! I think we all deserve a sluggy day on occasion!

How's your husband doing with the new job? Is his eye holding up?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

My son did this video last year of our velociraptors. I don't have quite so many now but I still loves my yardbirds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cute, cute video!!!

DH is in "so far, so good" mode. The new job is going ok. He likes the autonomy...but he's not happy with the money he's making so he sent in an application for a director job yesterday. I tried to remind him how much he doesn't enjoy the stress of being "the boss" so we will see.

He has another eye surgery scheduled...I think Aug 2...to remove the cataract that formed after the prior surgery.

We are in our LAST WEEK of our six weeks of he** at work.....thank goodness. The last two days are an overnight field trip that I will NOT be going on.....whew! I spent two hours today running work errands and picking up snacks for the trip... So now I'm 2 hours behind and I'm supposed to get off at 4:30 - there's something that's not adding up right with that time schedule, lol. And - it's 3:42p and I'm just now eating lunch. Geeze!

Back at it!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got up this morning to a disaster. I'm so ticked off! Looks like a gate got left open last night and Gracie, the herding dog, spent the night in the pasture harassing the goats. She's fine with them when I'm out there to rein her in - but last night was the first time EVER that she's had unsupervised time with them - and I'm just sick at what she did. She is a known nipper when she herds - and I understand that - and she's never been vicious. But, I found one of my does this morning with a huge wound on her back leg. Can I absolutely, positively say she did it - not for sure. It could be that she got spooked and ran into something and ripped it open... but whatever happened it probably happened because Gracie was in the immediate vicinity.

It's about a 3 inch x 3 inch area that is totally gaping open. The skin is torn, but that's not the big issue. There is major muscle damage and either a tendon or a nerve that's been damaged. When she walks she walks on the ankle joint...like the tendons that pull the foot/hoof itself forward is just not working. I've seen a horse with the same problem that had to be put down so I'm really worried about her. I dropped her off at the vet's this morning as soon as they opened and I'm waiting for them to call me with an assessment. Vet knows that if it's fixable I want it fixed - but if it's not...:(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:hugsOh no!! I'm so sorry! I hope you get good news and oooh is she in trouble!:fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, she's home. Doc says there's a chance that the foot may never work right again, BUT, that he was certain the nerve is intact. If it wasn't, he would have suggested euthanasia. It's just gonna take time before we know. He said he didn't see any tendon damage, but that her muscles are just "tore all to hell". Poor darlin'.

He also says she's gonna get worse before she gets better...that the muscles are going to continue to swell and get even more sore for a couple of days. He sent me home with a pharmacy to use on her. Went ahead and stocked up on some things that I usually keep on hand like Banamine and Dexamethasone. It's not that I didn't have any - but they were several years expired, lol. I bought a new bottle of each... added to the bottom line but I needed 'em anyway.

Thank goodness I don't have to do any treatments today cuz I'm tired! But tomorrow starts two a day flushings and shots and all manner of other nursing treatments. All part of the game I guess.