Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM I'm so sorry to hear you and poor Gracie have to deal with this now :hugs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh she's lovely! Hope she recovers well for you! And her darn kids need to give her a break!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule - That is the $64,000 dollar question. Vet said he thought she'd have to be put down when he first looked at it- but since the nerve is good we are, at best, hopeful.

She was alert and hungry this morning...took her antibiotic injection like a champ. So, still hoping for the best! :fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - funny you should mention a splint. DH and I were talking about that this morning. Seems that if she keeps walking on the joint we run the chance of her injuring it on top of the problems she already has! A puncture to the joint and an infection there would be the last straw for sure. So, I'll be putting, at least, a bandage around it and a soft splint of some kind. She CAN pull it forward, but I think it's just too painful to bear weight while it's in the correct position.

Yes - on the extra work...this will be a long process for sure. He sent me home with enough Nuflor for a week, and then prescribed penicillin for at least 10 more days after that. She's going to be a pincushion for sure. She's also getting Dex and Banamine. And, a new one for me - he says to give the Banamine orally... I've always injected it. :hu I may or may not follow vet orders on that one, lol. I've read a couple things that say with rumination you lose some of the effectiveness if given orally. I'm gonna research it a bit.

He left the bottom portion of the wound open and I'll start flushing it with a weak banamine solution tonight. THAT's gonna be fun - NOT! Not sure how I'll keep her still for that. Guess I could strap her to a tree, lol! Might be time for a tilt table? Wish I could afford one of those - life with goats would be much easier for sure!

Today/tomorrow are the last days of our six week session at work - and the rest of the crew and the students are GONE on an overnight field trip! Woohoo! LOL! I can get some work done that I've not been able to do with everyone here. I plan on knocking all the real work out today and then doing the fun stuff tomorrow. Our big dinner gala next Tuesday is the official finale' of summer. I'm going to get the (silk) flower arrangements done tomorrow if things go as planned. Have I ever mentioned that I love my job - at least most of the year!

After that - I get to plan how to use my 40 hours of comp time that I earned this past 6 weeks! Weeee! A free week off of work!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM I'm so sorry to hear you and poor Gracie have to deal with this now :hugs
Thanks Sumi...but Gracie was the villain in this escapade :somad (I think) and Cameo is the injured goat. I know it's hard keeping up with other peoples critters lol!

Soooo, Cameo took her morning antibiotic shot like a champ...she took her evening anti-inflammatory injection like a champ, she took her oral pain meds like a champ, and this poor goat laid on the ground while I washed her leg and infused 150cc's of betadine solution INTO her wound. I think it's a good thing right now that she doesn't feel like fighting because it makes it easier on me. But, I think I'll feel better about her healing when she DOES start fighting.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Morning goat doctoring session went well. Tied her up while she got her morning feed so I could wash the leg before infusing it. Don't want to push a bunch of nasties up in there...ugh. So far the betadine solution is coming back out looking clean - so I'm encouraged that there's no sign of infection. I'm going to pick up some bandage material today and will wrap that foot tonight.

I'm finally picking tomatoes out of the garden - woohoo! Eggplants are blooming like crazy. I need to check on the potatoes in the tubs...they bloomed a couple weeks ago so I expect the should be ready to harvest soon enough.

My dehydrator died...with a load of figs in it drying. :( That is sooooo annoying. I think the next time I purchase one I'll bite the bullet and get a better model.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bummer on the dehydrator! I don't use mine nearly as much as I should.

Well I'm glad she's being cooperative for your sake, but hope she starts fighting you soon, for her sake! Lol

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I give banamine orally to the minis. Bitter!! Some honey or syrup helps. Works very quickly this way -- had heard some issues with some horses getting lumps/infection at injection site, from others. I never had the problem. Either way works for the pain & swelling.

Yep my horse drained at the cut site but, the lower portions o leg trauma/swelling were where it broke thru. Not as much tissue on a goat leg, so you may not have the problem. The bandages & vet wrap support and do have some flex, so she may not use the foot a lot but, often the slight compression does them good to control some tissue health.

Glad she's co-operating. They know when they need help!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with lumps from Banamine at injection site either. Just perplexed as to why after years of injecting to change to oral. I have heard that there CAN be injection site problems - but I haven't seen any here. Guess I'll just keep following vets instructions - he's never let me down before and I've used him for 25 years at least. I don't know how I'm gonna do it - but I've gotta make sure he never retires!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bless you AND the goat! Always something huh sis? Sounds like you're doing a great job nursing her back!