Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a great place!

Today was one of "those" days. Maddie is in heat. Ugh. Previously I put her in the livestock trailer... too hot to do that now. She's on day 8, so not much time to get this figured out. This morning I DID put her in the trailer....that's how I found out it's too hot. Poor girl was panting like crazy. So, I'm thinking that if I can leave her out during the day that she can spend the nights in the trailer. That means I've got to find something to do with Cowboy. This dog! I know that he can climb or dig out of anything so I wondered if I could put him on a chain for a week or so. Tried it and he was PI$$ED! He kept looking up like "how do I climb out of this chain" thingy. For about 90 minutes he tried to get out of that chain. He tried to chew it. He tried to paw it. He lunged against it. He did everything EXCEPT try to slip his collar. LOL! Got him - right? Nope - he broke the snap. Sooooo, I get a new snap. A brand new brass double ended snap and put that on his collar. Looped it and hooked it twice... hard to explain, but should have been doubley strong. It was. The collar, the brand new, extra large, heavy duty collar wasn't as strong as this dog is. He pulled so hard that the collar came apart. I give up. Maddie is going to live in the breeze way for the next couple weeks.

Only problem - Maddie doesn't WANT to live in the breezeway. She tries to make a break every time we go out the door. This oughta be fun. Seriously thinking about spay... but don't want to spay a 7 year old dog...so I guess I'll just whine about the bitch in heat twice a year!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This may sound dumb... How long are dogs in heat for? We've always spayed/neutered. We had a rescue dog in heat once when I was a kid but we spayed her right after.

Sounds like a nightmare. Neutering Cowboy not an option? I know there's a lot of stuff attached to the spay/neuter conversation, not trying to dredge that up, just curious!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Roughly - 3 weeks. A week coming in...a week in...and a week going out. Usually only receptive the week in the middle. I've thought about neutering Cowboy - but even without all the controversy - every male dog I've ever had neutered died from cancer. Just my experience, but I don't want to set up another failure. Plus - I don't want him getting fat and lazy, lol. Maddie is older - so it would be okay if she gets fat and lazy.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Females who have never had pups are more likely to get an infection -- forget the name -- and it would then require an emergency one. You may want to talk to your vet & reconsider. It's obviously far more expensive and serious at that point. She's got several more years there and you could both relax if done.

Been there once, $1300 worth!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
LOL, she's spoiled now! I worked at a vet clinic with a boarding kennel. Show dog clients would board their females while in heat to avoid accidental breeding and the inconvenience you're dealing with now. It was not fun for the boarding employees! :eek:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally! I got my data back. Grandkiddos ran through it like crazy!

My Paris is 10 years old and goes bonkers when in heat.
Maddie could give her a run for her money - for sure! She is great inside, but when I take her out on a lead she ... just...drives...me...crazy! She walks just fine if I'm leading her "some where." But, if I stand still for her to do her business she goes in circles around me until I'm wrapped up in the long lead and then sits right up against my leg and tries her best to disappear. The dog is looney tunes! Hormones do a number on her for sure!

And, to top things off when I was walking her this morning I went to the side of the house and holy heck the side gate was open....Gracie and Cowboy no where to be fund. ARGH! Just what I need at 6am. I'm whistling and calling for them like crazy and don't care if the neighbors hear me. The side gate is actually on the side of the house where mr. CREEPER lives. I really don't trust that man as far as I can throw him. I still think that he's responsible for both of my Westies dying the same day and probably responsible for the open gate. GRRRRRR! I've really gotta get a game cam.

Finally I look around and Gracie is sitting at the pasture gate looking all guilty. I let her in and turn around and Cowboy comes strutting up. He's not looking guilty at all, lol. DOGS! And, just to make me even more crazy - Gracie is still due to come in heat. She and Maddie were in heat at the same time this spring. Oh crap - what if I missed it? Nah... I woulda noticed it if she'd been in.

DH's cataract surgery is tomorrow. It has been a long time coming and I can't WAIT for it to be finished. He literally carries a huge magnifying glass to work with him every day. He can't do any close up work without it.

Best part about the cataract surgery as opposed to the vitrectomy he had is that there is pretty much instant gratification when the cataract is removed. YAY!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope his surgery will go well for him. :hugs for both of you

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can you put a lock on that gate? Or maybe run a hot wire to it........

Hope everything goes good for you and DH tomorrow!

Latest posts