Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek the picture I just saw has an arrow pointing to Houston that says locally 30" forecasted... Wow...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gulp....yep. We've never flooded in the house here...and the county was out cleaning the ditches a couple days ago so I feel like the drainage will be as good as it can be. But, at some point if there's nowhere for it to drain to it just starts getting deeper.

I am so not looking forward to this...it's going to be a major PIA anyway ya look at it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stock up on chocolate too! :cool: AND boots....couple pairs.

So, how far inland are you? They are really looking for unbelievable rain & flooding. I know I am 50 miles in, so tidal issues not a problem but, rivers in our area carry off the ground flows. I am the highest point for over 3/4 mile all around me, a Noah's Ark area, if you will, for flooding. But rains like they predict can just sit until time allows the run off. Hope you luck out with this -- it's not looking good!!

I'm sure thinking about you all.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've had our hurricane talks before. You know what to do. Other than a direct hit on your location, you will be ok. Extra wine is a must. Bake brownies before the storm hits. You might be out in the rain digging drainage channels out. It's good that the county just cleaned the drainage ditches, just gotta make sure your puddles can drain to the ditch. Yay. More mud.

Hunker down.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm less than 20 miles from the coast - as the crow flies. My house sits at about 22 feet above sea level.

Dammit - forgot the chocolate and so NOT going back to do any more shopping! It's crazy out there! There's no water, ice, bread or gasoline to be found. Probably no chocolate either, lol!

But, I've got plenty of water, some ice, some bread/tortillas/and plenty of gasoline! Crockpot has a pork loin in it for a couple days munching.

The biggest problem that I see is that this is going to last soooooooooooo long if the predictors are correct. It could go through Mon/Tuesday...with the possibility of TS strength winds for most of that time.

We will manage. I worry a bit about DH - he does not do heat well- it raises his blood sugar. But we have a window unit that the generator will pull so I think we've got that covered too.

Have boots - several pairs.

Will definitely have more mud...and probably a parasite bloom from critters drinking ground water.

Gotta look for a brownie recipe - I've got cocoa!

You know what to do

Yes ma'am - starting project Hunker!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
See Alvin...right under Pearland? See Angleton south west of Alvin? See Hwy 35 that runs right between those two towns? Right where that 35 is circled would be about where I am. Looks safe, huh?

upload_2017-8-24_18-23-17.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Definitely safer than Corpus Christie :hugs Hunker down.
2nd half will be worse for you...water, water, everwhere!

Sounds like you've covered what you need/can. Try to keep posting. Storms often cut my satellite pick-up. Hopefully you will keep power. That is the most inconvenient. I depend on having my generator as a comfort blanket. I can live with that!! :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My favorite brownie recipe. I got it from a small paperback Hershey's cocoa cookbook dated 1979. My great aunt retired from Hershey and she had several Hershey cookbooks, I got them when she passed away.

Hershey's Best Brownies
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (I always use more)
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsifted all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nuts, if wanted
1/2 cup chocolate chips, if wanted

Blend butter, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, salt in a bowl, blend. Gradually add to egg mixture until blended. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Spread in 9" square greased pan. Bake at 350* for 20 to 25 minutes.

The directions say to cool in pan. WHY? Why would anybody DO that? By the time they cool, they're half GONE!