Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader, your bales are only 40#?? Or did I do my math wrong? That seems very light. But it's been a while since I had to bale hay...

Is this a common size?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No I was going by 100 bales- lazy math lol. They're usually 50-60. I have gotten 40 lb bales in the past. Annoying, you just have to move more of them! 50 is about average here I think. My SIL gets 80 lb bales shipped down from Canada. I don't help on her hay days!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking 80# bales too... I grew up baling hay. It was summer money and great exercise. But it's been a while now.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband grew up on a horse farm, unloading a tractor trailer load at a time of those 80 lb bales, which have wire instead of twine holding them together. His parents would pull him out of school for the day when the truck arrived. Only time he ever wanted to go to school!

But no, the guys around here don't do bales that big! We buy from all small town guys, most of whom are older and 60 lbs is all they want to deal with!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For a square bale - 60 lbs is enough! Sometimes ya gotta lift those things waaaay high to get 'em stacked!

DH's follow up for the eye surgery seemed to go fine. He thinks he can still see a little shadow in his peripheral vision, but the doc said it was in the perfect place and his vision is pretty clear. It'lll till be another month before he can get glasses or contact to actually get the correction that he needs...but...HOPEFULLY (!) the end is "in sight".

Next visit was with the endocrinologist. Not as positive...seems DH's blood sugar has been running high for awhile (so tell me something we didn't already know). Turns out he hasn't been setting his pump up correctly! GRRRRR! Hope he's got that straightened out.

Third visit didn't happen. He tried to get a referral from his primary care doc to go see an orthopedic doc to check out his knee after his fall last week. Beginning to think that he might have really damaged himself. Isn't that special? Another challenge for him. :thPoor fella.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And for you! Poor all of you! Sheesh. Glad his pump is fixed. Sugar issues can be so scary. I almost lost a family friend to a diabetic shock episode. Scariest thing ever, none of us really knew what to do. (he had no pancreas and his sugar would go from high to low in like 2 seconds). He's passed away since but was super scary.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, finally caught up here. I really hope your DH's eyes are going to be o.k. now. I have to go for small surgery on my left eye soon, still waiting for the date. Eye doc on Wednesday saw something he wants to remove for biopsy.

How are your parents doing? Any news/progress with their house and all that?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad his pump is fixed.
I think it was "user error!" Silly man - but that's nothing to be fooled around with!

I really hope your DH's eyes are going to be o.k. now. I have to go for small surgery on my left eye soon, still waiting for the date. Eye doc on Wednesday saw something he wants to remove for biopsy.
Hope the doc finds absolutely nothing wrong in your eye. That's a little scary though. Definitely sending positive thoughts your way!

Parents are ok...settling in a bit more...but still anxious to get out of there and back home. I haven't told them that even though they might go home - they won't be going home alone. They love their caregiver and she would love to go and do live in work at their house. I'm just not sure they can afford it full-time and it would be quite a long drive for her. Of course, she wouldn't be doing it every day if she lived in... I just don't know... She's making over $500 this week and that's for 42 hours this week. Not sure how much it would be for live-in.

I have lots to do this weekend - hope the weather cooperates. We've been getting some rain and I don't want it right now! And, still pretty warm here too. I want FALL! :fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Every night mom and dad sit on the loveseat after dinner.

Dad: What time is it?
Mom: Eight o'clock.
Dad: I can't hear you, but it must be about 8:30 because it's dark.
Mom: Are you sleepy?
Dad: What?
Mom: ARE YOU SLEEPY?
Dad: Not yet, are you?
Mom: No, I'm not sleepy - why? Are you?
Dad: I can't hear you. Are you sleepy?
Mom: Yes, I'm sleepy.
Dad: I'm not sleepy either.
Mom: I'm not either.

Eight- thirty: Lather, rinse, repeat!

They are so cute!