Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've fed horse feed off and on for years. When I showed that's all my goats got. Horse feed is usually high quality - you know how those 'horse people' are, lol! Guess I need to remember how good the goats looked back then. But I have noticed a definite change in how they look since I started this new feed a few months ago. It's taken awhile - but definite change.

A couple years ago I started feeding JUST goat pellets when I changed feed stores. It was very economical, but it looks like ya get what ya pay for. Geeze, sometimes I'm so dense. :confused: I started this feed a couple years ago and my major parasite problems started about that time too. I've been blaming the problems on our wet weather but maybe the two go hand in hand.

Shuffles off...kicking self in butt...shaking my head...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that's so interesting, I noticed the nutrition labels for the horse feed looked quite impressive. Go figure, horse people! Lol

Goat feed is actually kind of expensive here. Then again I haven't priced the horse feed yet!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thinking I need to reconfigure pigs again. I've got three boys together in the garden area. Two are from the most recent babies and one is from a previous litter. I'm considering putting the second older male (from the December-ish litter), in with the original boar. That would leave the two youngest in the garden area. Garden is not a huge place so I think that move makes sense. Then the girls would have the run of the pasture. I don't need any more pigs at the moment even though it's likely there are some on the way.

The male from the December-ish litter will be the next to go to freezer camp. He's not real big so I'll probably give him until late winter...February/March-ish before his appointment.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How many pigs do you have these days? You can always use more pigs! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Three young males and the original boar. The original two females and two more younger ones for a total of EIGHT! Dat's enough pigs, lol!

They really don't bother me too much...most of the time they're out in the pasture or lazing around the pond unless I've put them to work - like in the garden. BUT - I don't need any more! I should try to sell a couple of the young ones. Not really worried about it - but if/when it ever gets cold I'll probably need to feed 'em more than they get now - which is not much!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eight pigs is a lot of pigs! Be happy they're AGH's or you would be spending an obscene amount of money on grain! Lol

How's your husband's eye doing?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eight pigs is a lot of pigs!
I know, right!

One male will be gone within the next six months for sure... I guess I could butcher a young female at the same time - but unless I get them separated I won't butcher her in case she's bred.

His eye seems to be better!!! It's clear now - but he still can't see well out of it until he gets new glasses or contacts. They won't do that for at least a month after surgery to make sure it's completely healed. Still a waiting game....ugh. But, at least there's an end in sight. In sight, lol! Pun intended!