Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ditto that!

Supposed to be a "less humid" front coming through. They say it's not a REAL cool front but that it'll be more comfortable because of the dryer air. GEEZE! I want a real, bonafide, cold(ish) front.

This past weekend was a goat weekend, and this upcoming weekend will be re-arranging pigs and getting the dogs their Ivomec treatment.

Should probably get a couple more big bales. I don't think I could possibly go through more than 8 bales, and would probably have some left over to garden with.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How warm is it there now? We hit 88 today and humid. It was the hottest day of the year on Mt. Washington, our tallest mountain. Tomorrow's high is 66. Random weather.

How heavy are those big bales?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's 90 right now - probably a few degrees warmer a couple hours ago. I was inside all day :( so I didn't really check. Didn't you mention that you're getting down in the 30's soon? Brrrrr!

How heavy are those big bales
Good question, lol! Most of the bales around here are advertised as being in the 1000 - 1200 lb range. Not sure about these but they're probably in that same range.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Umm I think I feed my goats too much hay.... Lol....

30's at night over the weekend, yes. But it'll be warmer next week. Still high 60's, low 70's

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We're looking at about $6 a bale over here and that's just for grass hay. But then again a lot of people sent hay up to Montana so they have to make it up somehow.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here in VA it's all over the place. Most rolls here average 800# & from 50-75 depending on type forage & quality. Recently saw some for 25-35 but, 500#ish #. Now the smaller is easier for me to move with my equipment...the price difference in minimal. Means it's back to how far to get & hay type. Hay at $.10 a # is fine. The ultra fantastic hay that I pay $.30 a # is just that. I try to buy something that is NOT sprayed. There are 2 of those farms near me -- well if you call 50-100 miles near, LOL -- and I hope to have a day to go check out the further next week (smaller rolls). A friend with a Tractor/trailer rig & I may go together on gas to bring in an entire load...like 30-40 rolls. We will keep what WE need and sell a few to offset the transport costs. May even get better price as well as sell enough to offset "some" of our costs.

When you figure "waste" it runs you $.10 - 15 #. That's still good if the hay is decent nutritionally. I still feed some concentrates to be sure vit/min are there, for my mini horses. Goats get theirs as they are pregnant and will be lactating in what is still winter here

Fall is the most important time to worm everyone!! Get all you can from the feed you give them. It's the most cost intensive season, overall, for feed at most farms. Is here because I have plenty of summer pastures...mine will be good for another couple months, then done for volume.

Hubby eyes....glad at least clear. I have seen "glasses" advertised that have an adjustment at the side to alter the position of the lens for sight. They were not really expensive -- $20-30 -- maybe something like that would help until RX could be accurate. MAYBE even go to one of the stands where they sell the off the rack ones...and try them to see if any help as temp. Could always remove one lens! Just a thought for the wait time.