Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll!

It was a great day....Overcast, drizzly, windy, low 60's.... and I was outside most of the day! Woohoo! I moved baby chicks outta the brooder to a pen outside. They can finally stand up straight, lol. They loved being able to jump and stretch their legs...poor things they shoulda been outta there a couple weeks ago. :(

I wormed a bunch of goats for their second go round.... moved some pigs...hope I fixed the barn where the pigs can't get in with the goats. Mom hasn't been good and dads not great but he's better than he was yesterday. Thank goodness!

DH will take dad to get his TB test while he's off next week. He shouldn't have too much trouble getting him into his car. It's just my truck he can't climb in to.

Hope Assisted Living calls soon....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay!!! Outside time!!!

I hope they call soon too. Is it frowned upon to call them every day to bother them? Lol. When do you go back to work?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to tie my hands behind my back so that I won't call them every day, lol! About once a week seems to work... we are on the top of their waiting list. I'll give 'em a call next week (Wednesday) when I go back to work.

I'm really tired and my feet hurt. Walking in mud still annoys the torn tendon in my right foot. Owie!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ouch!

Good, you're at the top of the list so hope it's not too long! I kinda feel guilty saying that cause I feel like I'm wishing death on some poor resident but hopefully a room opens up for a better reason, lol.

Your husband is really awesome. I know he is an RN so these things might not be as much of a bother for him, but it's so amazing that he can be as involved as he is!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, I don't have a death wish for anyone...but I do wish for a room!

DH is awesome, and being an RN really does helps. I just know that without his help this would be an even bigger nightmare than it is.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For most people walking in mud would be like a foot massage. For you, the mud claims your feet as it's own and you have to struggle to lift each foot for every step you take. Ever have the mud suck your boot off and you're standing on one foot, trying not to drop your sock in the muck? :lol: Not to mention that every step you take, more mud sticks to your boots and you wind up with 30 pounds of mud stuck to each boot......the original BIGFOOT. ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Great to have some much needed outside time! Sorry to hear about your foot though, I hope that's better today :hugs I'm also hoping for a vacant room for your parents soon, but feeling a little bad, keeping in mind what may be needed for that room to become vacant! But nonetheless, hoping they will be able to accommodate them both soon :fl

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
For most people walking in mud would be like a foot massage. For you, the mud claims your feet as it's own and you have to struggle to lift each foot for every step you take. Ever have the mud suck your boot off and you're standing on one foot, trying not to drop your sock in the muck? :lol: Not to mention that every step you take, more mud sticks to your boots and you wind up with 30 pounds of mud stuck to each boot......the original BIGFOOT. ;)

What's worse is when you fall flat on your face in the mud. I know someone that happened to.

A few years ago, the snow was so deep that I was feeding horses while wearing snowshoes. I had either a mini or a pony step on my snow shoe! Since I was lifting that foot at that time, it pulled my boot w/the snowshoe still attached right off. I don't recall now if I landed in the snow w/that foot or not.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's worse is when you fall flat on your face in the mud. I know someone that happened to.

Happened to me just once... I tend to learn from my mistakes, lol!

Took forever for me to teach DH to walk in the mud. In this boot grabbing gumbo it is definitely a learned art to get through it without either falling flat on your face or walking out of your boots. It takes twice as long to make half as much progress. You have to literally twist your foot/boot sideways to break the suction on each foot before taking a step. And like Bay mentioned, it's also a weight lifting exercise with all that built up mud sticking to each boot. It's a great leg/glute workout. (like I care)

Up early again this morning - or should I stay I'm 'still up' because there was no sleep last night. Dad has had a few bad days so last night, instead of trying to keep her in bed, he was her partner in crime. We are getting TB shots done this week so hopefully we will be ready for when they say we can move them in.

Brother mentioned coming to visit today...may or may not happen. I've got to get outside as soon as it's daylight and start our freeze preps. Won't be that tough. I need to clean out the hole where the shut off valve is for the water that goes out to the critters. It tends to grow roots in it most of the year. I hate, hate, hate sticking my hand down in that hole to turn that valve off...ugh. I may take heavy gloves and some tongs or something so my bare hand isn't exposed to whatever is lurking down in there.

After that I'll cover my little fall garden with a deep cover of hay and hope for the best. If I have time, or feel nice, I'll grab a bunch of hay off of a round bale and fill all the feeders in the big barn so the critters won't have to go out of the barn to munch out.

Think I'll go start a big pot of chili - it's that time of year.

I've gotta say that I'm really looking forward to this year being over with - hasn't been so great. Sure hope 2018 is at least a little bit better!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I slipped in the mud twice that I can recall and fell flat on my rear end. The first time was funny, the second I was carrying infant DS and landed on a big stone. Ouch. He was fine, thankfully.

Hope today will be productive and good for you, FEM and that 2018 will be a great year :hugs