Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not too blunt.
I do know that change does NOT work well with these oldsters. :( Not well at all.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A bit of farm news - I got the little horses up into the front pen! Yay! Of course they are leery - but they came in voluntarily. It's funny - out in the pasture I can usually walk right up to them. Bring them up to a smaller pen and they know something's up. That's the place where bad things like wormer is administered, feet are trimmed - but - it's also the place where they get a bit of grain every time they behave themselves. Ya'd think it would even out - but nope - they'll hold a grudge for another 5 years, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No idea, lol! But, definitely need to at least get my hands on them and take a close-up look. In all honesty, wouldn't object to them moving on down the line - but won't take a chance that they'd go to the killers. Maybe give 'em away to some kid somewhere...?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Someone just got in trouble because she was "rescuing" horses and turns out she was selling them to slaughter. Hmm I don't remember where I read that... Anyway that's not an issue here really, but I know it is elsewhere. Grrr. I mean, eat meat and all, I don't care, but don't lie and be sneaky about it! And I could never eat horse. Yuck.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hugs to you and your dad :hugs Did your DH have a safe trip out?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Believe they still do horse slaughter in Mexico? We all have to love the soul of a good horse...and they don't move well after they are aged. That's why I still have 12. Youngest is 15 now. A got out, mistake breeding. Most all are late 20's to mid 30s. Maybe a 4-her would like them. They have used them in this area for shows, driving, etc. Sized just right for a young one.

All I can say about DH -- MEN !!! :barnie You would think he would like to have a private driver. My late DH loved it! Hope he got there ok and all goes well.

DD -- yeah, we all agree. Longer drive but change would be worse. Even with bars up, maybe he tried to get up alone and fell. Even at home, remember how you have these "how did you do this?" times. Well, I did. They have moments of thinking they can, they try, they can't. Honestly 24/7 doesn't even work all the time. He probably won't ever settle over your mom because he no longer has the capacity to understand and retain...it appears. This dementia is hard on the whole family. Watch and hope, can't change it. :hugs

I milked last night. My gal with the now 16 mo old doeling she still lets nurse! Seems missy hasn't been drinking of late, so I milked her out. Some resistance, not major. I think she liked the relief. Need to re set my milking area to do more of them in a couple weeks. When I pull some kids.

Hope to move all bucklings out of the field next week as it "looks like" I will have 4 days off. :) Mini vacay - work week. Field is ready, just have to corner them. I am thinking I may band them.....but, Rosh Hashanah is mid Sept and I want to sell them. They like them intact. They are quite nice and have considered keeping one but, probably not. Rather have the $$ than freezer fill. Next year I will have plenty of them with 15 bred does! :cool:

See, FEM, you can feel better about your numbers. Hey, get any of those kids ready for Sept sales.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crazy night. DH didn't get in on his last flight until midnight...got to his room after 1a. Texted me around 2:30a to tell me he'd forgotten his insulin pump supplies. He needs to change out his reservoir and sensor tomorrow. I called him at 3am to ask where his head was, lol. I'm running on about 3hrs sleep... Fed Ex doesn't open until 10am.

Went out this morning and one of the female pigs was totally not interested in food - and wanted nothing but water. I checked in their stall and there was one pink, hairless, dead piglet in there. Don't know if she's aborting or just delivered a dead one. Guess I'll find out when I get home.

Hospice nurse is supposed to call and/or text me when she's on the way to see dad so I can meet her over there. I'll be talking to the owner also to see how a nearly 90 year old man falls out of bed - IF the rails were up.
@Mini Horses - I don't think he could have crawled over the bars...he has no strength in his legs at all and his upper body isn't much better. It takes two people to lift him out of bed now - he can't even assist them. However - I'm open minded and will listen to their explanation. But, I will also re-iterate that the rails need to be UP! Also going to discuss with hospice nurse his pain management. I know she has morphine prescribed for him that is to be used to manage his pain....the aids tell me that they rarely use it - instead giving him Tylenol. For God's sake people - ease the man's pain...and from what DH says - the morphine will help with his COPD also.

I'm tired! We are in our most intense time at work - never a minute to spare. We bring 63 high school kids on to the college campus for a six week intensive prelude to their next high school grade. Then there are the field trips. We usually rotate so that each staff member doesn't have to work them all. So far, I've worked two of the three. We also have an academic and athletic competition with 5 other schools this week and we've never lost in 15 years!!! We will all work it this Friday from about 7am until 8p (most likely 9 or 10p) The pressure is ON this year!

Maybe we'll have a slow week the week of the 4th and the next week is the 'project show-off day' that the entire campus is invited to. Two days after that is the banquet that I alone plan for 200 people. The following week is a 3 day trip to New Orleans (that I alone have planned) with numerous stops for college visits, lunches, a Jazz dinner on a steamboat, a trip to Bubba Gump's and a chartered bus. I had it all planned, contracts signed, deposits paid - until it was decided that we'd take 5 more students and 2 more chaperones so I had to re-do all reservations and get a bigger bus! I rarely complain about my job but with everything else I have going on - GEEZE LOUISE PEOPLE - GIVE ME A BREAK!

OK - I'm done whining until tonight when I will wine!

Almost forgot - got a text from the good neighbor this morning - he wants to "shoot a pig" tonight! YaY!

Last edited: