Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh please, keep talking about it. It's life, we're good for talking about the good and the not so good. You're doing a good job making sure he's taken care of:hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son and DIL went with me to see dad today. My son is just an awesome person. He's so tender-hearted and caring...Sigh. This is kinda one reason I don't like to burden anyone else - it's just painful to everyone. But, thank ya'll so much for always listening. :) I appreciate it so very much.

Dad is about the same. He knew who my son was and shook hands/held his hand and thanked him for coming to visit. His skin was a bit clammy and his breathing is still irregular.

Next week will be the last of our extensive 6 week session at work. We're all exhausted. The following week however is a three day field trip with 30 students to New Orleans. I have no plans to go. My co-workers are awesome and know that my time at work - even during our busiest time - will be limited.

I butchered 3 more quail this afternoon - that should be IT! That mostly empties two pens except for two females. Each of them will go into one the remaining pens and leaves just two pens to be tended instead of four. That'll cut DH's work time in half. It may reduce fertility though by stretching the males in those two pens a little thin - but eh...

We've had on and off rain alllll day. Enough already!! Really starting to get mushy and nasty outside...I'm just over it!

Need to go feed and might try to spend a few minutes in the garden doing some clean up!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And for a quick dinner - we had quail and chicken guts! Eh....I'm kinda ambivalent about 'em but DH loves 'em so I cooked him up a batch of gizzards, livers and hearts. Doesn't take long to cook a quail gizzard, but gotta say those hearts think they're popcorn and will try to pop right outta the pan, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I totally understand, lol! But - I gotta say that quail liver is milder than chicken liver (if it matters, lol)!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just can't. I used to be a vegetarian. My ability to eat organs is just not there. I don't even like eating meat off the bone. I'm really a terrible homesteader!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just can't. I used to be a vegetarian. My ability to eat organs is just not there.
I don't blame ya! I would NEVER buy it. Would only ever consider it if I raised the critter and know how it was raised. I cooked about a dozen livers and I ate about 3. I think it was drilled into me for so many years that "it's healthy" that sometimes I just think I should...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also like chicken livers and gizzards. DH loves the gizzards. They are a treat for us. The old layers livers and gizzards get tossed to the dogs. Those livers are well used and I won't eat them.

FEM, you talk about your Dad. We love you and we are here for you to talk about difficult things. Life is not all puppies and rainbows, life can be hard and we just have to deal with it. Kinda hard to believe that Hospice would cut off food and water from your Dad. I agree 1000% with you that what ever he wants, he should get. Pitch a wall eyed fit if you have to, you are a good daughter.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kinda hard to believe that Hospice would cut off food and water from your Dad. I agree 1000% with you that what ever he wants, he should get. Pitch a wall eyed fit if you have to, you are a good daughter.
Seems I over-reacted. They are to provide soft foods and thickened liquids IF he asks. If not - they don't push it.

Headed to work early this morning to try and get some things done before I go see dad.

Rainy, cruddy weather - but at least it's cooler for little Freckles. He's a bouncer!! I guess I'll have to disbud him in a few days - weekend at the latest. And, I HAVE to get feed today. Tried to go Saturday and totally forgot they closed a 2....I got there at 2:20...ugh.

Happy Monday, ya'll.