Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My luck will be that she'll wait until Wednesday when I go back to work. Goats! :he
probably waiting for the darkest day....um er night.

When my mare foaled she went twelve months rather than eleven....:th I was in the hospital for a planned surgery.... They notified me as soon as I came out of anesthesia... Nurses got a kick out of telling me it was a boy.....:lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have come to believe a goats goal in life is to make us crazy :he:D

probably waiting for the darkest day....um er night.
I used to be one of those uber anxious, nervous moms...but after doing this for 30 years I just wait and watch. I won't give that goat the satisfaction of making me a nervous wreck, lol!

When my mare foaled she went twelve months rather than eleven....:th I was in the hospital for a planned surgery.... They notified me as soon as I came out of anesthesia... Nurses got a kick out of telling me it was a boy.....:lol:

That had to have been a hoot!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went ahead and raked out the kidding pen- actually raked out the entire small barn. It’s been so wet that the goats stay in all the time. It stinks in there and that ammonia won’t be good for tiny little lungs. I’m going to try to let it ‘air’ before I re-bed it. If Lucy gives me enough time I’ll go to TSC in the morning and get some Stall Dry and some more shavings. I’ve got just barely enough shavings for the kidding pen.

Got an udder shot the other day:
B799F8B9-9551-4492-B2C1-AC346E6F0F7A.jpeg

She definitely doesn’t have the best udder on the place, but she’s a generous and willing milker.

Got another shot just a bit ago:
1713E158-7A1F-43DE-A8B3-E9736E69CA74.jpeg

A bit of a difference.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, my! Now that you have posted your wetness...AND told her you would "wait until tomorrow" to go get shavings...what do you expect in the morning???:lol: I hope you put the few you had into her kidding area for those little ones :love That way, she won't have to rush the push. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:caf :old :idunno Just sayin'

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My does RARELY ever deliver overnight. (watch her make a liar out of me tonight) But, her ligaments are still there....still there....:hit I will go out and check her again before bed.

That puddle is right under their feeder and the chickens scratch it out and make it muddier. (Geeze - why did I order more chickens?) IF she decides to deliver tonight I would make sure her pen is well-bedded. I have plenty of hay even if I'm short on shavings. I promise - she won't deliver in the mud. :)

I often get a chuckle when I hear other people witchin' about their mud - I want to tell them that is MY LIFE... That's why I'm concentrating on hardy, parasite resistant goats. They gotta be tough to make it around here!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, ok then. I can say that I'd rather have cold frozen ground than standing water in the animal enclosures. I'm totally not bragging here. I do get standing water in my chicken run, but... not very often in December!!! When we get a winter thaw, the ground is frozen solid, so the water has no where to go. Not a fun time. Then, we have the spring and fall rains... more wet ground!

Lucy looks like she is VERY uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Latest posts