Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've watched lots of you tube videos on scraping - but my big question is: Is there an advantage to leaving the skin on? Is it to protect the meat? Do you cook it with the skin on? I guess because it isn't presented to us that way here (in the stores) - I'm not familiar with it at all.
That's a great question! I almost always had pork with the skin on, except ribs, and we always cook it that way and eat the skin too. I was surprised when I moved to Ireland to see chops with the skins and fat removed. I personally like eating the skin, when it's boiled (vs fried or roast) I love it. I believe it is partly to protect the meat and partly to reduce waste of the edible parts?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @sumi I guess it boils down to what is "normal" for your area. I wouldn't mind trying pork with the skin on. Then I could make up my mind which I preferred. I love trying new things!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
As I said, I personally love pork skins. Give it a shot and let me know what you think! I know some people like cutting it into small pieces and adding it to pea soup... There are probably a lot more things you can do with it that I can't think of right now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ah yes! I forgot about cracklings! My dad used to make them when I was a kid. They are great!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pig that was walking around in my pasture on Sunday is mighty tasty today! I put a shoulder in the instant pot and I declare it supremely edible.

Oh - and the "turnips" I picked up yesterday are actually golden beets. Who knew? Pigs love them!

Latest posts