Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I kinda wondered how keto and cholesterol got along...
For me - they apparently aren't compatible! Geeze....but at least I can eat carbs now, lol. I've been looking at the Pritikin "lifestyle." It's low calorie, low fat and you can have whole grains and healthy starches. They even advocate for potatoes! I love potatoes, lol. Many, many years ago I lost a bunch of weight by doing low fat/low calorie. That seems to be what my body responds to. I've been doing this Atkins/Keto stuff because it's good for diabetics - but apparently not for me!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Keto may push cholesterol up *temporarily*, and then it normalizes and drops in 6 - 12 month timeframe. To assess your risk profile, look at triglycerides. 1 month of keto pushed my cholesterol up to 229, technically high. But my triclyderides were very, very low which still had me in a low risk profile.

A diet that will probably love you back is Wahls Protocol. Level 2 (low carb/paleo) or Level 3 (keto). It's not a super strict keto, you're not going to be in ketosis around the clock. It's not vegetarian, but it's lighter on meat and fat than the trendy keto. You're filling up on veggies not on fat. I think the strictest version WP level 3 only calls for 50 grams fat, while a popular keto macro calculator tells me to consume 135 grams of fat per day.

If you do your current keto, but add the 3 cups of leafy greens, 3 cups of colorful veggies (1 of these can be fruit with colored flesh, like a peach, not like apple), 3 cups of sulfurous veggies (brassicas, alliums, mushrooms), you're going to naturally dial back on meat and fat. You can include potato, but it doesn't count as a veggie.

Now I'm curious and need to go look up the Pritikin lifestyle. That's a new one to me! I love comparing diets because many of them have so much in common!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, a ketogenic diet does not need to be high in fat at all! Any way of eating that gets you into ketosis is ketogenic. Ketosis is achieved whenever your body runs out of glycogen and switches to ketones. So fasting imitating diet, intermittent fasting, extending fasting, 5:2 diet can be added to your list of possible ways-of-eating. Low-carb-low-calorie is the only keto option that causes low metabolism, rebound weight gain, and muscle wasting. However, if you do low-carb-fasting you don't sacrifice metabolism, muscles, or energy.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise - My head is gonna explode, lol! Really though - thanks for all the info. I've got some studying and planning to do. Crazy though - when I was doing low fat and working out hard with weights - I was in the best shape of my life. But, now that I think back on it - I started weight lifting after I'd lost a bunch of weight to rebuild muscle. Sigh... all I really know is that I will not take a statin drug.

I really wasn't pleased that all they told me is "your ldl is twice what it should be." I want a percentage/ratios, I want a more complete look. I want to know if I have the light fluffy ldl particles or the heavy dense ones that tend to build up. I want MORE INFORMATION!

I work at a college and we have a diagnostic sonography lab. I can go get scanned for free. Students do it - but the instructors read it and let you know if there's an issue. Apparently on a carotid scan, they can see plaque build up. I've been told that if you have it in your carotids - it is likely that you have it in your heart. I've had that scan before and despite my high ldl levels I had zero buildup. That will be my next step.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haha, the diets start bending together after a while. Stay away from Standard American Diet and carbs and you'll be okay! I agree 100% about statins. They're so risky and don't have much benefit. They improve numbers but not outcomes.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband was put on a statin after his triple bypass. It really screwed over his memory. Bad. REAL bad. Never again.

Dallas has gone to be a therapy goat? What a wonderful life she will have! She is going to bring so much love and blessings on the people she visits. I know it tugs at your heart strings, if took a lot of love to give her up, when you could have been selfish and kept her for yourself.

I ran across an old picture of Joe, my pure white cremello gelding, Love of my Life, and I thought about you. In Livingston, we had 16 acres just outside of town and it was black gumbo clay. Gooey, sticky, slick, suck-my-boot-off-mud, leaving me balancing on one foot trying not to stick my sock in the goop. When I read your posts about the mud, I know exactly where you are coming from, and I am so durned glad that we now live on sugar sand. It has it's drawbacks, but it is a heap sight better than black gumbo clay.
So anyway, I found this and thought you'd get a laugh out of it.

IMG1284.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband was put on a statin after his triple bypass. It really screwed over his memory. Bad. REAL bad. Never again.
Not gonna happen here... nope.

That's a great pic @baymule!

Crazy times - but we're dry! And, have been for pushing two weeks now. We had a little wetness couple weeks ago but it disappeared quickly. I'm thrilled! However, they're calling for the 'r' word for most of the next week. We shall see. It would probably help my pitiful little garden that I still don't have completely planted. Sigh...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeeesh --- too many options for me. :lol: Besides, I probably won't remember half of it :old It's hell to get old.

I want the diet that reduces wrinkles! :cool:

Flax seed, avocado, garlic...all good to lower cholesterol and taste great, too. Lots of veggies. Sounds like the Mediterranean way of eating -- olives, light on meats, goat meat is good (lean), skinless chicken, lots of veggies, heck I'm getting hungry!

Latest posts