Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Busy times...ugh.

Back to the dentist a couple days ago to finalize plans for the rest of the work. Anxious to get it finished - but not anxious to do it...if that makes sense.

I've got a broody hen! She's been sitting tight for almost a week now - but she's on a huge nest of eggs that I had intended to get picked up. I'll candle this weekend and pull anything not developing - then I'll close off access to the nest so that the other hens can't keep adding to the nest. Geeze Louise - why do they always want to lay under a broody hen? Too lazy to brood their own I guess. This is a big ol' Lav Orpington so she can cover a big ol' batch of eggs.

Few more things popping up in the garden - but I'm still not finished planting. I did see that the okra is sprouting - that's YAY! Some more squash coming through... I need to check on the other things I stuck in the dirt.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha, good luck with the golf balls, lol!

Moving day for some of the goats. Cameo went out to pasture with her doeling and Lucy came back to the front barnyard without her babies. Nobody was happy with that arrangement - except me, lol.

I'll check the broody nest tomorrow and take away any eggs that don't show development. Then I'm gonna close the gate to that pen for the next two weeks.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guess summer is really going to find us. We were 86 last time I checked the thermometer. Because of last night's rain we're humid too... yay summer. Supposed to be hotter tomorrow. I'm not going to gripe yet though - I like this more than winter!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Egg Thief - Grrrr

IMG_0782.JPG

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow!! Is that a copperhead? Already has one down the throat.

Whatever it is -- it's big, and I hope dead by now. Would be here! They don't just eat and leave -- they hang out and return. No, here they die. I don't need a heart attack, or lost eggs & chicks.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a plain ol' rat snake. We grow 'em big around here. Shame when they stop eating rats and start eating eggs - cuz he's gonna have to go. I was too busy taking pics to catch his butt today. And honestly, I thought he'd be moving slower with that big ol' egg in him...but he was making tracks. Now I know where he lives though. Several years ago I caught one about that size and relocated him. I hate to kill them because they usually do more good than bad. But, he's gone over to the dark side.... :(